Have I missed my chance?

henry_o

Today i found a heavily used fox earth. All the classic signs... Feathers, bones etc on top. So without delay I've been down tonight and got set up on my belly in some grass approx 70 yards from the hole. After an hour or so a it was getting dark, two cubs showed. I was watching waiting for the vixen to emerge. Minute or so later she did, but didn't hang about. Literally out the hole and straight into hollow hedge bottom (slight ditch). As I was looking for her in the scope to see if she'd pop out and stand for a shot, I almost **** myself. No more than 8 feet to my right, a fox started barking. I just stayed still and it carried on down the hedge barking towards where the cubs and vixen went. I don't know if it smelt me or if it was the dog or a cub that had come out earlier. These cubs were well on. 3/4 of the size of e vixen at least.

So, have I missed my chance??!

With our grey partridge project, I can't afford to let these get away. What do you all think?

Thanks Henry

Edited by henry_o

Only one way to find out.........

There's not really a rule to foxes, vixen might have shifted them, or they could be there not bothered. If you can though try and get both mum and dad in the same night some folk recon get vixen and the dog won't move the cubs, but I have found out a few times that is not the case

Thanks mbw. I was at the hole at half 4 this morning and was there until 7am. Didn't see a sausage. But when I was doing my larsn traps I saw a cub outside the whole about 3 pm. Been back tonight with the 12 bore and waited as still as a statue from 7.45 till dark. A cub came out but I left it hoping vixen would come out. Just as that cub came out, I heard the dog barking in the field down wind of me about 150 yards away. Typical when I had taken the shotty. I could see it sat there for a few mins. I don't know if it was a warning bark or if he was tempting cubs out? He must have smelt me as he was directly down wind. He started walking around the field barking every 10 seconds and was there barking when I left when dark. So I don't know when I'll get a chance with the vixen, it's not normally this hard! To make things worse I've found another litter of cubs but they haven't emerged yet. I've gone from hardly any foxes to a lot!

Henry

Can you sit in a vehicle with your rifle Henry? It sounds like you're getting scented rather than seen and being in a vehicle will help hugely to reduce this. The vixen is sure to move them if she thinks they're in danger and repeated exposure will only encourage her to do so.

Greg.

Hi tight choke. Ye i could have taken a cub, maybe two. But if I'd taken two out there's still 3 left with vixen so I was waiting for vixen to shoot her first. Then the cubs would just be a mop up operation. If I'd got a cub or two she'd also move the rest of the cubs away to a new site so i wouldn't see them again until after harvest. Patience normally pays off but not so at the moment.

Henry

If they're still there after your last visit try sitting with your rifle and sit all night with your lamp, just periodically have a flick round with it, if the dog is coming in and scenting you he will back off but the cubs need scoff. Eventually if you sit tight the dog will come right in, or even better vixen will come out to meet him and you might get both in one go when I sit for cub I will sit and try and get vixen first then cubs, if dog resents a shot then il take it, if not no sweat and I won't leave till I think I've got everything or daylight comes, then next night I will sit again at holes half the night to make sure everything is defiantly mopped up

If you have any mates available might also be worth getting them to sit back and cover you while you concentrate on the holes or sit and watch where the dog may approach/leave from

Edited by MBW

I have just had the same issue and after watching for an eve and only seeing cubs i decided that possibly the vixen had been killed elsewhere, i made the decision to take the cubs anyway and took 5 over the first 2 nights, the 3rd night i waited for the remaining cub to appear and it did along with the vixen, 3 eves and job sorted.

Think i was lucky that i had a lazy vixen and she never moved on with the cubs, these were big cubs too.

Henry

Why didn't you shoot the cubs when you first saw them?

You say you were hunkered down about 70 yds away, did you not have a good safe backdrop?

always get at least one adult first, cubs are a piece of cake to get, ive seen me shoot a dog and vixen then feed the cubs for a few days until I have time to dig them out or shoot them