SEAGULLS

turk101

You are allowed to shoot the Herring, Lesser Black back and the Greater Black back gull, but check it out anyway as I went out for a days shooting collared doves only to be told that it was very much protected in Northern Ireland by the farmer when I told him my intentions.

You put a brass thing on the end ot the rod called a jag (or it may be a wire loop in a plug instead). The jag looks like the thread of a 1/2 inch bolt with a slit down its length. You stick the patch in the slit (or thread it throught the wire loop), soak it in barrel cleaner (such as Youngs 009) , twist the ends of the patch round the "threads" and run it up and down the inside of the barrels.

If you shoot plastic wad cartridges, you will need to run a bronze brush soaked in barrel cleaner through the barrels first to loosen the debris.

Finish off by pushing a bit of kitchen roll through the barrels to remove the dirty barrel cleaner, then wipe the barrels outside and in with a patch lightly soaked in Rangoon oil, but only put it on lightly or it will run down the barrels and spoil the woodwork.

Don't forget to wipe a little oil over the rest of the metalwork.

If there is a trace of oil up the barrels when you want to use the gun again, run a dry patch through them to remove it or it could stress the barrels when fired.