Can you recommend a good fox shooting book please?

fieldwanderer

As in the title really, as I've mentioned I'm waiting for a land inspection etc for my first centrefire and just want to swat up a bit in preparation - I've been gleaning as much info as I can from you guys and the internet but a book specifically about the sport would be useful in my opinion.

I know enough to go have a crack at the charlies and I'm comfortable with my fieldcraft, safety and shooting but a book that goes right back to basics would be an advantage I think as it's always good to be open minded enough to start at the beginning in case standards have slipped slightly :good:

NO is the answer, but as they go Robert Bucknells is probably the best of a bad bunch.

He has some "interesting" ideas and techniques and equipment. There can be little doubt he gets results though. Also seems a decent bloke, I met him at the Game fair 3 or 4 years ago!

Worth a scan perhaps, but as with any reference book, simply a guide, you will need to put your own spin on things.

I believe this has been reprinted but not updated! He has a newer book, Going Foxing but I don't really know anything about that, is that simply an updated Foxing With Lamp and Rifle?

:good:

If the price of the book bugs you then just watch loads of youtube videos and search google for articles. You'll learn all you need to know without buying anything.

Also keep an eye on ebay and second hand book shops. I picked my copy up for around a fiver.

You would probably learn more in 4 or 5 nights out with someone that has done a lot of foxing than you will by planting your nose in a book for a week.

Obviously, however I asked for help in the relevant section quite a while ago and still no response - and without knowing anyone who shoots, let alone goes after charlie, that's me a bit stuck.

I think if your after a sly, cunning and very clever creature like a Fox there are times you need to arm yourself with as much knowledge as possible, not just a rifle and lamp.

Getting to know the habits of both its hunting methods and habitats will increase your chances and IMO give you more respect for the Fox than just seeing it as something that needs to be killed because you want to.

Sounds good to me dougy, though I don't think any of us just set out to kill something because we want to, I'd certainly not be shooting anything if that were all I was doing it for.

Thanks again everyone, I'll get one of bucknells books as they seem to sell well secondhand if I decide its not worth keeping. I'll also do some homework about the fox itself, to be honest I hadn't really given that much thought so far - at the moment I just wanted to learn as much as possible to field the f.l.o's questions a bit more confidently when he comes.