Bark v. Play Bark v. Rubber "Bark"

Piebob

Has anyone created a kids play area and put down bark / play bark / rubber?

I'm buying a swing / chute / fort thing for the boys but want to lay down some kind of protective surface in case of falls. Has anyone done the same, and if so what did you use? What are the pros and cons of normal bark versus the play-grade bark versus the rubber chips (other than price)? Does wood bark deteriorate over time - how quickly? And will it get blown all over my (fairly exposed) garden? Anything else I should consider?

Cheers,

Piebob

I've normal bark on a couple of flower beds around the house and I found I you get a long spell of dry, windy weather it will start to blow about. I've seen the play bark in a few play park and the chips seem to be heavier than the normal stuff, and a lot cleaner.

I had built a 4m2 play area last year can ph photo if needed. I had the same decision. I plunged for treated bark from travis perkins at £42 a tonne. Needed 4 tonnes of the stuff.

Being scotland its always wet but when it dries you need to rake or turn it frequently to allow the bark underneath to dry or it will decompose quicker. It is dirtier obviously and splinters but only 2 or 3. I also disenfect with jeyes fluid every 5,6 weeks

I was looking at about £900 for the rubber. Ultimately it was too expensive for me as i would have prefered it. Hope this helps

We use cleaned graded wood chips in the play areas at work, you can lay your hands on them at most sawmills they aren't as dirty as bark, but they will get blown about from time to time and if your "pit" ie the area to be barked sits in a way that if it floods and overflows the chips or bark will float out and make a right mess however it is cheaper than rubber and half an hour with a spring rake and a half decent blower will tidy things up reasonably well, not sure where you would get it but there is also slabs made of compressed rubber chips that are quite good if you can source them

We used the rubber bark and it's been down two years and is very good. Bits do occasionally get kicked off the play area but you can rake most of it up and put it back. It doesn't seem to get blown about. When the kids are finished with the play area I intend to bag it up and sell it on eBay.

The issue of cat litter put me off bark and as others have said it decomposes and gets dirty. The rubber hasn't attracted any cars etc.

I can send photos of the rubber bark down on the play area should you wish.