FAC referee....is a caution a conviction

After being given the go ahead from the Farmer to apply for my FAC, got referees sorted and all was going well until in a casual chat with one of them, a lady from a respectable family, brother is a local councillor and rest of the family own several long standing businesses in the area, it turns out she got a caution a few years ago.

Story goes that she was in a pub minding her own business ( her brothers business) when some trouble kicked off which she soon found herself in the middle of.

She ended up getting arrested...driven around for a bit then taken to the station where she was de-arrested and sent on her way with a caution.

Now I have read and re read the sagas of is a caution a conviction for application purposes but this as far as I can see is a new one ( I couldn't find it in any other threads).

I suppose the real clincher would be whether the caution was an official recorded one as opposed to an unofficial "we've got enough bother tonight without you" off you go type as it was New Years Eve.

She doesn't know

I will say I am going to call my local FEO today for his opinion but thought it might be fun to let you lot argue over it until I am told by him.
I will let you know the outcome later.

Simplest answer is speak to the feo there are no real set in concrete rules on this and will depend what is in her file so to speak. If its not acceptable you just get a different referee, though personally to keep things simple I'd do that anuway

My referee had been in prison as a young teen, But he's turned his life around owns a successful business and own guns him self (had to apeel, as first application was refused), so I doubt your referee's cation should hinder your chance.

Edited by buckaroo23

I will get another one if needed...I just want to spare her embarrassment if I have to tell her she's not suitable.
She really is the most unlikely person to have been involved in anything...its only because I'm such a good friend... :yes: ....that she opened up to me.... :lol:

I still have not called my FEO yet David, the exact wording refers to being of good character so I suppose an individual force could interpret that differently.

If a caution is not a conviction then technically I suppose you could say she was still of good character.

Flynny, had my SGC for nigh on 30 years, its my FAC this time around.

I share my permission with V8 90 on here..who I will add got me the permission in the first place through PW,..top bloke :good:

Permission will be for the usual rabbits, foxes etc so I would say going for 17 HMR. Not sure if I will need a .22 to be honest and don't know if they will go with a .223 on first grant.

It's funny you should bring this up, now this shows how every area works totally differently, I've just got my FAC and one of my referees was deemed unsuitable because he was cautioned for possession of Cannabis 15 years ago! he now holds a shotgun certificate himself, but that was the constabularys view that he was unsuitable and I had to get a 3rd referee, so youd think that my area are pretty strict right? now here's another example I got an open ticket straight off! Which people on here said was nearly unheard of, so it just goes to show that they all run with a different set of rules...

Flynny, had my SGC for nigh on 30 years, its my FAC this time around.

I share my permission with V8 90 on here..who I will add got me the permission in the first place through PW,..top bloke :good:

Permission will be for the usual rabbits, foxes etc so I would say going for 17 HMR. Not sure if I will need a .22 to be honest and don't know if they will go with a .223 on first grant.

Apply for them all mate it saves putting in variations at a later date, fox and rabbit are a good enough reason to get the 17 the 22 and the 223. You don't have to purchase them all at once, unless you want to!!!!!!!!!

Atb

Flynny

why did she take a caution in the first place???

Few years ago now mate and I can only assume it was that she saw it as not being taken to court.....most on here would not accept a caution but to the general public with no SGC/FAC to lose its an easy option.