BASC pigeon shooting course.

-Mongrel-

Just because someone does things differently, doesn't mean its rubbish.

Take on board any advice and take every opportunity to gain experience, implement any ideas and see what works for you.

The very basics, reconnaissance, picking the correct field etc are the same across the board ...... if you want to shoot a decent bag.

This may or may not have been aimed at me and my comment about Chris Green.

Now there are many different ways people can go about shooting pigeons. The thing that annoys me and the thing that i disagree with people on most, is when they say ' you must never do it this way'.

That's why i say take no notice of a lot of what Chris Green says,for example.

On his 'secrets' dvd, he says to never push two round bales together and put a net round the front to use as a hide. He says the pigeons will see you before you see them and therefore they'll be scared off. I did exactly what he said not to do on a wheat stubble in 2008 and shot 202.

There are many other examples of 'never do this' on that dvd that i disagree with.

This also applies in general conversation with other shooters. There's the ones that say you can't set up in the middle of a field because pigeons know what a hide is, or pigeons know that we're shooting them etc etc.

I agree with you motty .

I could do a DVD tomorrow but it would not make me a expert on the subject.

Sure if you are new to the sport then watch all the DVDs and read all the books you can but never take every word as being set in stone .

Take on board the advice and then see what works for you and remember what works may change from day to day or even hour to hour , funny things pigeon !!.

At the end of the day there are only two things that will make you a good pigeon shooter, being able to shoot straight and having plenty of experience in the field .

You will not become a expert by just watching DVDs or going on courses.

This may or may not have been aimed at me and my comment about Chris Green.

Now there are many different ways people can go about shooting pigeons. The thing that annoys me and the thing that i disagree with people on most, is when they say ' you must never do it this way'.

That's why i say take no notice of a lot of what Chris Green says,for example.

On his 'secrets' dvd, he says to never push two round bales together and put a net round the front to use as a hide. He says the pigeons will see you before you see them and therefore they'll be scared off. I did exactly what he said not to do on a wheat stubble in 2008 and shot 202.

There are many other examples of 'never do this' on that dvd that i disagree with.

This also applies in general conversation with other shooters. There's the ones that say you can't set up in the middle of a field because pigeons know what a hide is, or pigeons know that we're shooting them etc etc.

I have done that as well countless times,, last year shot 93 mixed bag on stubble with 2 round bales pushed together with a net in front.

I also agree with fenboy its all about trial and error and finding out yourself what works for you, shooters see things differently most times , the things that work for me might not for another shooter, all the time you hear a lot of shooters saying that magnets don't work , in my opinion it couldn't be further from the truth I think they are the best decoy aid money can buy, and you should never ever set up with the wind in your face anyone will tell you that, but I have done it a number of times and came away with good bags, but I don't listen very well to what you should and shouldn't do just go with your instinct and what feels right to you on the day

Edited by yickdaz

Sure if you are new to the sport then watch all the DVDs and read all the books you can but never take every word as being set in stone .

Take on board the advice and then see what works for you and remember what works may change from day to day or even hour to hour , funny things pigeon !!.

That's the essence of things for me, and I agree Motty that nobody should be saying 'never do this and always do that' because as we've already agreed, what works for one may not work for another or it could be what works in Norfolk may not work in Sussex, flexibility is the key.

But, I still maintain, that if your knowledge is limited, nothing but good can come of educating yourself as long as you do approach it with an open but questioning mind. As I've said, if somebody suggests you do something and it doesn't work you just drop that idea, but a least you'll have some ideas from an accomplished shooter to work with, whereas half of the **** you read on here would send you in the wrong direction!

That's the essence of things for me, and I agree Motty that nobody should be saying 'never do this and always do that' because as we've already agreed, what works for one may not work for another or it could be what works in Norfolk may not work in Sussex, flexibility is the key.

But, I still maintain, that if your knowledge is limited, nothing but good can come of educating yourself as long as you do approach it with an open but questioning mind. As I've said, if somebody suggests you do something and it doesn't work you just drop that idea, but a least you'll have some ideas from an accomplished shooter to work with, whereas half of the **** you read on here would send you in the wrong direction!

totally agree these courses are great for shooters new to the game, they can learn more in an hour than 1 year asking questions on a forum, they will get some top tips on every aspect of the game, then its down to them to put it into practice and gain experience, on there own in the field

As advertised in events i am conducting another one day decoying course, the date is not finalized but around the middle of June and will be held on a large estate in Lincolnshire. The day will cover everything from equipment, tactics,patterns, hide building and the all important "getting permission" It will include what i call Hide Discipline, this covers the vital moments in the run up to the shot being taken, if done correctly the first shot will result in a kill nine times out of ten, this of course increases the chance of regular doubles thereby improving the odds of realizing that "Red Letter Day"

This is a full days instruction based on the theory and practice of a days decoying and is priced at £55 inc tea and coffee. If interested please PM me.

Richard Gray.