Early morning shoot

Martin&Oakley

Set off to farm about 0430 and set up for about 0520. Aim was to get some pigeon or crows, massive fail.

Had a feeling nothing was going to play so went walk about. In the space of 45 mins I had dropped a squirrel and 2 rabbits, both a 1st for me.

I then went to the far end of the perm, noticed a smallish rabbit about 200 yards away coming out of a hedge row. I was down wind and managed to flank round to my right to some higher ground.

As I came round the blighter had gone to ground.

Now a small rabbit and a chunk of mud seem to look very similar at 50, lol.

Walked up to where I thought it went to ground only to spot it 2 meters in front of me. I now had a massive dilemma, I had already selected the top barrel with full choke with 30g 6.

I made the decision to walk backwards and get some distance between us, the bunny thought otherwise and made a run for it! Let it run 5 meters then dropped it.

Fur went all over the place, on inspection the entire internals where missing! Wasted.

Despite the lack of birds, it was a good few hours.

image_zps3862e284.jpg

I knew it was a young one, just never heard leverett before.

I'm expecting some critism about the young one. A the end of the day it's my call, be it right or wrong in other peoples eyes. I will leave it at that before a rant surfaces.

On another note, is that squirrel quite big? Or average? Ad he took both barrels! Tough nut.

I knew it was a young one, just never heard leverett before.

I'm expecting some critism about the young one. A the end of the day it's my call, be it right or wrong in other peoples eyes. I will leave it at that before a rant surfaces.

On another note, is that squirrel quite big? Or average? Ad he took both barrels! Tough nut.

a leveret is a baby hare

Ok, slap on my wrist. Is there some thing prominent that will distinguish kits and leveretts apart?

don't worry about it,

rabbits are small than hares

rabbits are a browny/grey while hares are orange/ginger

hares have longer and thinner legs than rabbits

and hares normally have a black tip on the top of their ears while rabbits dont