Feral Pigeons - Myths, Diseases & Pie!

Wayne

Greetings from a newbie!

Well, I've searched the net & can't find any sensible answers - can you eat feral pigeons safely or not?

The closest search item I could find were articles from around the Sellafield area - apparently radioactive ferals are definitely a 'no-go!!' lol

OK, I'll come clean - I have shot & eaten around 7 feral birds - I was fairly sure that their diet was seed rather than McDonalds leftovers, but they were feral, none the less.

They tasted great (recipe later perhaps!) and I had no adverse side effects.

But was I just lucky?

I hear two sides - first, that these birds carry diseases which can't be eradicated by boiling etc, but second, that these birds are the semi-wild ancestors of domestic birds, bred specifically for the pot since mediaeval times.

Which side shud I pay most attention to?

I *want* to include the sp. on my list of suitable quarry, but I won't shoot anything I can't eat (unless its trying to eat me!).

I would be very grateful for any help, advice, links etc.,....in return, I'll share my recipe......think pigeon breast in red wine with garlic & onions, all cooked up in a home made pie with mature cheddar & mange tout.....damn.....thas half the recipe already.....I'll shut up & drink more ale whilst waiting for your learned opinions!

All the best,

Wayne.

:( :( I know for a fact they are highly toxic....... :lol::D

10 years ago, when I lived back home with my mum, the lad I grew-up with had a ferret. One day we fed it a feral pigeon. - We were just kids remember and knew no better - :D:D

I meet my old childhood chum in a pub the other day - I turns out the ferret died recently :D:D

So there you go, proof if proof were needed :lol::lol::lol::D:lol::lol::P:P

Seriously, I have eaten them mixed in with woodies and never come to any harm, I do mainly try to avoid them though.

:lol: Thank u very much.....I'll get me rifle! :D

I'm surrounded by townies see so its hard to get sensible advice on these things where I live.

Now then, as promised, my pigeon pie recipe!

I found that 7 birds (feral) was enough for 1 well-packed plate pie plus a decent pasty.

First, cut out the breast meat of the birds & discard the rest of the carcass (unless ur reaaaally hungry & can be bothered with the tiny amount of meat in the wings & legs - personally, I don't think its worth the effort.

Scald the breasts in boiling water (ie, pour boiling water over em) & ensure they're covered - add salt & pepper.

Stew until very tender (I find that in a microwave on full power this was about 20 mins.

At this point you can allow them to cool, cut em up & freeze them if u haven't got time or inclination to cook! But to continue with pie.....

Chop a medium sized onion (or two if u like) & crush a few cloves of garlic - cook these (simmer & reduce) in some red grape juice or cheap red wine (or half & half).

When the onion pieces have softened a bit (about half cooked) chop the pigeon breasts & add them & simmer for a while longer - just long enough for the pigeon to take on all the tastes. Then, leave the whole lot to marinate while you do your pastry.

Fill your pastry with the pigeon/garlic/onion stuff & add a bit of the juice to keep it moist. Add some slices of mature cheddar & some of ur fave veg - I used chopped mange touts - worked well. Mushrooms would also work well.

Then jus cook it like any other pie & enjoy, served with roast potatoes & a good ale, wine or port.

And thats that!

All the best,

Wayne.

It's sad that you have to resort to eating ferals, as they are generally such horrible manky looking things that are not worth the price of a shotgun cartridge, and best left to forage outside the KFC for last nights scraps.

The best recipe i've heard was to take 6 birds, pluck, dress and boil in stock for about 3 hours, then throw the lot away and eat the pan - it'll taste better...!!!

:D:D:D:D

Anyone for Sauteed Seagull or Casseroled Crow....:lol:??

:lol: Thank u very much.....I'll get me rifle! :P

I'm surrounded by townies see so its hard to get sensible advice on these things where I live.

Now then, as promised, my pigeon pie recipe!

I found that 7 birds (feral) was enough for 1 well-packed plate pie plus a decent pasty.

First, cut out the breast meat of the birds & discard the rest of the carcass (unless ur reaaaally hungry & can be bothered with the tiny amount of meat in the wings & legs - personally, I don't think its worth the effort.

Scald the breasts in boiling water (ie, pour boiling water over em) & ensure they're covered - add salt & pepper.

Stew until very tender (I find that in a microwave on full power this was about 20 mins.

At this point you can allow them to cool, cut em up & freeze them if u haven't got time or inclination to cook! But to continue with pie.....

Chop a medium sized onion (or two if u like) & crush a few cloves of garlic - cook these (simmer & reduce) in some red grape juice or cheap red wine (or half & half).

When the onion pieces have softened a bit (about half cooked) chop the pigeon breasts & add them & simmer for a while longer - just long enough for the pigeon to take on all the tastes. Then, leave the whole lot to marinate while you do your pastry.

Fill your pastry with the pigeon/garlic/onion stuff & add a bit of the juice to keep it moist. Add some slices of mature cheddar & some of ur fave veg - I used chopped mange touts - worked well. Mushrooms would also work well.

Then jus cook it like any other pie & enjoy, served with roast potatoes & a good ale, wine or port.

And thats that!

All the best,

Wayne.

WOW!!! AND THERES ME JUST ROLLING THEM IN FLOUR AND SHALLOW FRYING THEM :*) IM GONNA PRINT THAT ONE OFF!! ???:lol::lol: