Exploding sloe gin........

Lancs Lad

OOOOOPPPS...........

There was me and the wife cuddled up on the sofa on our wedding anniversary............when I hear a bosh.....................trickle trickle trickle.............

2 litres of sloe gin has exploded in my kitchen.............................

OOOOOPSS..........

Dont use screw top bottles if you are making your own..................it makes a rather sticky mess........

Or what you should do is put it in a demi john with an air lock untill it has stopped re-fermenting. Not new to this by any chance :rolleyes: :( :lol::lol::lol:

Sorry don't mean to mock, but you did post it.

I hope you managed to salvage some, or at least lick it off the floor :lol:

THey only explode if fermentation starts.

That will only start if you've got too much water or too little sugar.

I'm assuming you are only adding neat gin?

The gin should kill off any yeasts unless the alchohol level drops too much.

Check your missus isn't having snifters and topping up with water :rolleyes: :(

Must have been the sugar thing..........

Was using honey with the one that explode though............was a full jar of honey.........

Neat Gin....................

As for recipies.......................I dont follow recipies....................I create them.....................and then clear up the sticky mess afterwards...

Just thinking.........they were next to a radiator.............that has now been turned on..............are they best kept in the dark.........somewhere like the loft?:|?

its cold and dark up there.........its where I keep the Gimp.... :no:

LB,,,,good job I found some more sloes locally.................Im now down 2ltrs though with only 6 ltrs left.....Gutted as was looking forward to giving it a try over xmas...........coz I cant wait 12 months.......

Just thinking.........they were next to a radiator.............that has now been turned on..............are they best kept in the dark.........somewhere like the loft?:|?

BINGO ! If you use gin it would be almost impossible to get a fermentation so it has to be the heat from the radiator pressurising the bottle :no:

:good: Yeast shouldn't survive (or should I say WILL NOT survive) in neat gin. Even the very best yeast dies in about 15-20% alcohol. Don't put it by the radiator buddy, it'll expand and blow up :lol::lol::/

He sneaks back into the kitchen,,,,,,,,,removes remaining 3 bottles of 2ltrs each of sloe gin away from radiator.........

:lol::lol::lol:

Wife wont belive me that it didnt ferement though..............she keeps giving me agro.........saying TOLD YOU SO.... :angry::lol:

• 3 weeks later...

ive just bottled 7 litres of my sloe gin and had an early tasting session - as you do, very nice - only my second year at playing , got the recipe off the sloe gin forum , any more recipes for next year? if so please post.

Does flavour improve through aging???

Cheers Gray

Does flavour improve through aging???

Cheers Gray

Yes, but they say that if you leave the sloes in more than 6 months it starts to impart a nutty flavour to the gin. Some like it so it may be worth tring a bottle or two. Drink at about 10 years old. (yeah right its going to last that long) I've still got some 2003 left, a record.