Patchy rape field

Amazed

Hi all.

On one of my permitions the lower half of the field has failed and the rest is pretty patchy so I went for a walk with my new lanber (thankyou flazz) and it was pretty busy. I was suprised as I haven't seen a pigeon for a few weeks on any fields I shoot. So am thinking about doing a session next week.

Any tips or is it simmilar to shooting the flattened patches in cereal ?

Thanks

Karl.

try putting the magnet in the tall rape so it looks like the birds are skirting just over the top, put decoys in the bald patches, try putting a flapper just above the tops of the rape also to look like one trying to land in.

I tried this yesterday on or rape, its one of the worst year for rape I've ever seen, we just couldn't get them to commit.

They are all dossing about in the hedges.

same here we shot on some patchy rape on thursday which looked promising. we managed 7 birds . they just wasn't feeding hard enough and sport was very slow.

Hi all.

On one of my permitions the lower half of the field has failed and the rest is pretty patchy so I went for a walk with my new lanber (thankyou flazz) and it was pretty busy. I was suprised as I haven't seen a pigeon for a few weeks on any fields I shoot. So am thinking about doing a session next week.

Any tips or is it simmilar to shooting the flattened patches in cereal ?

Thanks

Karl.

The most important thing is to get your decoys where they can be seen by pigeons. That might mean using long canes or something like that to get the decoys above the crop. I think you would be better off with a flapper/magnet/floater in future, though.

Thanks forthe advice :)

Only problem I have tod is no flapper no bouncers and no magnet lmao I well best take a book ;)

give me a ring fella ill borrow you a flapper and a magnet and bouncers if you want.

Well I gave up after 3 hours...magnet in the long rape and decoys in the bald bit...quite a few birds about but none of them coming in to the deeks.

Packed up up at 5pm and went for a walk which resulted in 3 pigeons and a rabbit without lugging all the kit about lol then went to the pub and there were more pigeons in the garden of the village pub than i saw with the deeks out! talking a bloke at the bar whose terrier was busy sniffing me resulting in being invited out stalking! Great result!

Edited by oscarsdad