Moto GP Spectating

Dunkield

One of the things I want to do next year is to go to a Moto GP.

Originally I fancied Valencia and then Brno, but I quite fancy Mugello now.

Brno would be the cheapest, but I am more interested in the best atmosphere and experience to be honest.

Has anyone been to any of those? and if so, can you offer an insight into the pros and cons?

Not quite the same but i went F1 at silverstone. Somehow ended up on the stand with all the wealthy people. Helicopters in, the lot.

Saw the cars for about 30 seconds, then you wait for about 5 minutes for them to come back round again. They gave me ear plugs, which i did need.

We drove there, being non the wiser. The ques were horrendous.

One of the things I want to do next year is to go to a Moto GP.

Originally I fancied Valencia and then Brno, but I quite fancy Mugello now.

Brno would be the cheapest, but I am more interested in the best atmosphere and experience to be honest.

Has anyone been to any of those? and if so, can you offer an insight into the pros and cons?

Do they still go round Assen? Supposed to be a good weekend, or at least used to be.

Do they still go round Assen? Supposed to be a good weekend, or at least used to be.

Ooh, been there to!

'Interesting' weekend involving lots of noise, beer, drugs for those who wanted them (not me I hasten to add), motorbike engines in wheelbarrows for the purposes of bouncing off the rev limiter all night long...or until it went bang in which case you just fire up another!, fireworks/thunderflashes, and some very passionate Dutch bikers. Great to watch racing but never again!!! I was so tired on the ride back I almost killed myself...twice!

Edited by -Mongrel-

Best atmosphere you need to go to Italy or Spain. Misano takes a bit of beating, ridden down a few times and it has always been plenty hot enough, some great routes to get there too! Barcelona is pretty good, they just seem to really know how to have a good time in those sunnier countries and they sure like the bike racing.

Ridden at assen and the Dutch are a good friendly bunch, not sure there is a moto GP round there but they do have WSB.

Monza is another cracking circuit and near to Milan for a bit of culture to go with the racing.

Best atmosphere you need to go to Italy or Spain.

That was my thinking, so I may not have been a million miles out with my original choices.

Thanks for the feedback so far gents...

I like the sound of the après race nonsense as well, but would like the luxury of walking away from it to nice hotel not camping with the great unwashed ;)

That was my thinking, so I may not have been a million miles out with my original choices.

Thanks for the feedback so far gents...

I like the sound of the après race nonsense as well, but would like the luxury of walking away from it to nice hotel not camping with the great unwashed ;)

When we used to ride down to Misano we stayed in a decent hotel and had a swim in the Adriatic, more often than not we'd make a week of it and do a bit of sight seeing. We took the bikes down in a van one time but never again, the journey was more boring than reality TV!!

Jerez is one of the greats for motoGP. Went 2 years ago (When Rossi took Stoner out right in front of us) and even though the weather wasn't all that, the atmosphere was terrific. :good:

Edited by walshie

Assen. Its a no brainer. Did many years following both WSB (Foggy and Russell days) and MotoGP.

Italy is too expensive and traffic can be **** in/out of circuits

France, your kit will get nicked. More so if you are camping

Germany has very little atmosphere

Spain is good, just not as good as Assen. If going to Spain, go to Valencia. Its the best one by far.

Czech is also good

Assen welcomes you in a way others don't. Armed police clapping as you wheelie out of the petrol stations, all the local kids on motorway flyovers waving at you, even the OAP's get wheeled out to the roadside to wave goodbye as you head home. Motorway closed next to track so you can park (free) and free buses to the circuit gates. Speeding fines paid at the side of the road, no points, and receipts given (unlike the Italians who will empty your wallet and then claim you haven't paid them). If your not camping, get cheap digs in Groningen. Some good youth hostel type places around, and they all do a BBQ dinner/supper for you for peanuts.

We used to go from Hull on the overnight ferry. Its only a couple of hours (if you ride fast) to Assen from Europort.