taking 2 guns

TJ91

Recently started pigeon shooting with a lad who has been fowling for a few years, he is very keen (addicted) and seems to know his stuff. Most of his shooting he says is done on the Scottish foreshore.

Talking about a trip the other day he was telling me he takes his o/u 10bore and a few big bismuth homelands with him and lays it next to his 'hide' but uses a semi 12bore with mammoth steel...using the 12 for ducks and lower geese but having the 10 incase a tall skein come over..

His reasoning doesn't seem to be about having extra range with the 10, more about the cost of the heavy bismuth loads..which imo is fair enough.

How many of you do or have done this?

I wasn't sure of legality but i aren't sure i would be keen on lumping 2 guns across an estuary

A couple of times I have been out with my friend and we have sat with decoys out and I have had his single 4 and my semi 12 but it has been close to where we can get the vehicles. The 4 for any birds passing and the 12 for decoyed birds.

once saw a group of 'wildfowlers' who were double gunning with auto tens! got under a narrow flightine and let go five or six shots each at every skein. They had been doing this in Aberdeenshire inland and shot a 'shed load' then moved on to try a couple of days on the foreshore at the end of their trip, just for a change of scenery. Wish they had'nt, as their exploits caused us a bit of grief with the local landowner.

I think taking two guns is legal, and in some cases welcome i have a muzle loader and on the occasions i take it out i often take a 3 inch semi auto with me esspecialy if i am expecting ducks. No doubt as sujested in an above post double gunning is open to abuse by some people but done responsably it is fine.

I think with the amount of different 3 half inch guns on the market now, and with better performance cartridges also there is no need to carry 2 guns ....

Not a huge choice for the 10gauge though.

I wouldn't give up my heavy old lump of a gun for any 3.5 12, regardless of new non tox 12gauge cartridge performance

I think with the amount of different 3 half inch guns on the market now, and with better performance cartridges also there is no need to carry 2 guns ....

Agreed, a 3 1/2 inch 12 bore is more or less a 10 bore. Hardly any difference in killing range, in my opinion not worth the hastle of trying to get hold of cartridges etc.

Agreed, a 3 1/2 inch 12 bore is more or less a 10 bore. Hardly any difference in killing range, in my opinion not worth the hastle of trying to get hold of cartridges etc.

It isnt.

But thats not the point anyway, some prefer to use a 'traditional' bore for wildfowling so stick to the 10.