Hot bluing an aya yes or no .

ghilley

As said before no guns from Aya are caustic finished who did you talk to in the Aya factory to learn this? what is the temp of your caustic finish? what is the melting point of the solder it is a fine line, I am not having a go at you, I just still believe in the old way of doing blacking a good rust finish may cost more but it will wear better and looks better if done properly. Ghilley let me know how you get on.

I agree rust blacking is a better finish holds oil better than hot salt bluing but it takes finess and time. I'm stil hot bluing air gun parts and rifles but have to watch front sights if there soldered

also hot bluing lots of ou guns but now get the SP from the makers before going forward

As said before no guns from Aya are caustic finished who did you talk to in the Aya factory to learn this? what is the temp of your caustic finish? what is the melting point of the solder it is a fine line, I am not having a go at you, I just still believe in the old way of doing blacking a good rust finish may cost more but it will wear better and looks better if done properly. Ghilley let me know how you get on.

ASI's workshop say new No4's are caustic blacked although the older ones and the Yeoman even were rust blacked which is surprising, AYA themselves say either is fine for refinishing confirmed yesterday by email.

I offer both finishes amongst several others but the difference in cost means outside of English guns I do far more hot blacking than cold.

The hottest tank runs 142 degrees Celcius digitally controlled way below the AYA silver solder melting point, hot blacking is fine as long as guns arent soft soldered which means old English guns and even then there are ways around the problem.

Half way threw rust blacking going well been hanging them in the green house to speed up the rusting works well I'd love to come and spend some time with barrel browner to pick up some tips if this is possible. Il post picks when done

ASI's workshop say new No4's are caustic blacked although the older ones and the Yeoman even were rust blacked which is surprising, AYA themselves say either is fine for refinishing confirmed yesterday by email.

I offer both finishes amongst several others but the difference in cost means outside of English guns I do far more hot blacking than cold.

The hottest tank runs 142 degrees Celcius digitally controlled way below the AYA silver solder melting point, hot blacking is fine as long as guns arent soft soldered which means old English guns and even then there are ways around the problem.

I would be interested to know who you spoke to at A.S.I`s workshop, as I said the factory that actually make these guns do not caustic black anything, Rust blacking is the best finish you can get and the best for shotgun barrels, I have had a set of barrels in this week that were caustic finished, the barrels were returned to the customer on route chemicals have leaked out onto the barrel and pitted them badly another good reason for sticking with the rust finish.

I would be interested to know who you spoke to at A.S.I`s workshop, as I said the factory that actually make these guns do not caustic black anything, Rust blacking is the best finish you can get and the best for shotgun barrels, I have had a set of barrels in this week that were caustic finished, the barrels were returned to the customer on route chemicals have leaked out onto the barrel and pitted them badly another good reason for sticking with the rust finish.

I think you are getting just a little bit carried away now don't you.............

Theres a good reason that the vast majority of modern guns are hot blacked, rust blacking is just too time consuming and not compatible with a modern production line environment and you know as well as I do that after rusting is a risk common to rust finishes as well as hot if not applied properly.

In terms of the original question can you hot blue an AYA please see below the response from the factory.

I've no axe to grind either way given we hot black, rust black, parkerise, duracoat and cerakote here which pretty much covers everything

I'm certain the manufacturer knows what is and isnt suitable for refinishing their product.

-----Original Message-----

From: AYA-AGUIRRE Y ARANZABAL [mailto:aya@aya-fineguns.com]

Sent: 19 June 2013 14:02

To: Harvey, Richard

Subject: Re: Barrel Finish

barrels originally are rust blacked.

hot blacking is suitable

----- Original Message -----

To: <aya@aya-fineguns.com>

Sent: Wednesday, June 19, 2013 12:56 PM

Subject: Barrel Finish

I have an AYA Yeoman and No4 could you tell me whether these were hot

blacked or rust blacked originally?

I want to have them reblacked here is hot blacking suitable?

Thanks

Richard

Yawn,

Rust blacking done by a professional never after rusts, my barrels never after rust, caustic finished barrels rot from the inside out, no matter how well they are flushed, I finish 100 barrels a month and you would not believe some of the stuff that comes out of these barrels I am not getting carried away with anything I just like the everyday guys out there knowing they can get their guns done the right way with no problems down the line, I have done this work all my life, I have no beef with you, I do not see the point in lobbing a barrel in a pot for £30/£40 when it is possible to do them the right way for a bit more money, we should agree to disagree.

I CAN RUST BLACK YOUR GUNS TO BEST LONDON STANDARD......

• 3 weeks later...

Hi everyone iv tried to post pictures of my first proper go at rust blacking but the file is to big ? Iv had a test run on a English Sxs that had Badley worn and scratched Barells the results are amazing iv been hot bluing for quite some time but never mastered the rust method I'm glad I persevered if you want pictures il email you them the proses is very time consuming and you need finesse and dare I say love to really get the best results but it is worth every second if I'd have hot salted these Barells they'd have not only fallen apart but they'd have never looked as good Do not get me wrong i love the deep blue black shine I I get from salt bluing but when you see rust blaked it's so British so old school and truly classic if you want some pictures il email them to you thanks

Just a litle note to user of sarcastic LOL And Ha Ha's in this thred ? iv no reason to see what is so funny about me taking my time ? the pictures speek for themselves thanks BB more pictures when I do the AYA

Edited by ghilley