AYA Stock and fore end

Brown Sauce

So then here's how I did it.

Firstly a trip to B&Q, sandpaper 180, 400, 600 and 1500 grit, 00 wire wool and nitromors. Also purchased prior to starting, Napier London stock kit, Tru-oil and Perma blue kit. An old paint brush, tooth brush, dish cloth, steam iron (don't use SWMBO's brand new one), scraper and plenty of kitchen roll.

I'd like to suggested that if you're looking to reblue the whole barrel, send it to somebody like RichardH from here. Two attempts stripping it back to bare metal, meticulous care not to get moisture on the metal, doing it a section at a time and it never quite looked right IMHO. So 4 hours of my life that I'll never see again, anyway I digress.

Step1. Remove all the metal/plastic from the stock and fore end, as you don't want to get nitromors on it. Newspaper down, liberally coat all the varnished areas with the nitromors (follow the instruction on the tin), use the tooth brush to do the chequering and reapply until all the varnish has gone.

Step2. Fire up the iron. Over the years of use, your wood work is going to get dented and steaming the wood will lift the majority of them out. Soak the dish cloth in water, place over the dented area and steam. I went over the whole stock at least 4 times and concentrated on the most suborn dents until happy with the results.

Step3. Sanding. Start coarse and work up to fine. You may find as I did that some dents have been missed, so steaming again. Most people recommend not to follow the grain of the wood and don't concentrate on an area for too long as you'll end up with flat spots. Sand until you're happy with finish and how smooth it feels.

Step4. Staining or filling 1st. I went filling, this solution fills all of the pores and any really deep dents that couldn't be raised with steaming. I applied 2 coats, sanding back with 1500 after 24hrs each time.

Step5. Staining. In the birchwood casey kit theres a walnut water based stain, so you can dilute should a lighter wood finish be preferred. I didn't and went with how it came out of the bottle. Apply and leave for 24hrs.

Step6. Applying the Tru-oil. Now this is the longest part of the process and you'll need to be a bit patient. I poked a hole in the foil lid with a pencil, using a small drop on my finger tip at time, apply to the wood along the grain and don't use to much, as this will lead to runs. Leave to dry fully, can take upto 24hrs, sand back with the 00 wire wool and repeat the process of applying the oil. It took just over a week to apply roughly 15 coats of oil. Once the last coat has been applied leave it for a minimum of 48hrs.

Step7. Apply the sheen and conditioner after the 48hrs and reassemble. Job done.

Once my barrels are back from reblueing I'll post a final pic.

Hope this helps others have a bash at doing it.

just done my stock but it dose not have that shiny finish. how did you get that good finish?

ps good work.

Thank you. Just used the Tru-oil and it dried with that shine. There does seem to be a difference in how some of the members have found Tru-oil, personally it was easy to use, but you definitely can't rush it.

Very nice work Mate :good:

If you redo any that have been oil finished rather than Lacquer finish, get hold of some Oxalic acid crystals, mix with water in a suitable receptacle then immerse the stocks in for a few hours (warm water seems to do a quicker job)

the old oil will come away easily and for the chequering, a soft brass wire (suede) brush will do the job without flattening the diamonds..

Cna't wait to see the final pic B) B)

Cheers, John :)

Thanks for that, I was just wondering as I am thinking of doing the stock on my old Miroku. I really like the dark satin finished oil stocks and would like to get a finish as dark as this

http://www.guntrader.co.uk/Guns-For-Sale/Miroku_Shotgun_MK-38-Grade-3_For-Sale_120726181338001

I was wondering which stains and oils to use as I really don't want a shiny finish but I want it dark with the grain still showing.

Thanks for that, I was just wondering as I am thinking of doing the stock on my old Miroku. I really like the dark satin finished oil stocks and would like to get a finish as dark as this

http://www.guntrader.co.uk/Guns-For-Sale/Miroku_Shotgun_MK-38-Grade-3_For-Sale_120726181338001

I was wondering which stains and oils to use as I really don't want a shiny finish but I want it dark with the grain still showing.

That looks lovely, there are a few boys on here who really know their stuff when it comes to stocks. I'd put start a new thread looking for some pointers. Good luck.

• 3 weeks later...

Coming soon. RichardH has worked his magic on the barrels, which needed quite some sanding back. Unfortunately an abusive previous owner had stripped all of the colour hardening from the action, which can't be put back on without great expense. So this weekend, the action is getting a good polish. Hopefully she'll be back together next week and I'll post some pics shortly.