4wd

highdowns hunter

I wouldnt mind buying a second hand 4wd short wheel base not toooo expensive as I would only be able to use it about 10 days every 2 months But tidy enough to leave outside my house without the neighbours complaining

anyone have any suggestions of which make to buy or which make to keep away from

I quite like Mitsubishi shogun swb

what are your recommendations

:what:  :what:  :what:

Thanks guys, I bought landrover world mag whilst I waited 5 hours for my flight home last night,

It seems to me that they can be quite expensive and there are a lot of things to watch out for when buying an older one,Ie rotten chassis bulk heads etc

Are they easy to work on?

I have seen some reasonably priced Discoveries are they the same ??

you acn pick up a chep discovery with high mileage however the parts are still fairly dear, however if you but an older landrover you can bet your last doller most of the farms will have a landie of some discription behind the barn doing nought and you can always rob bits, the farm i shoot on has two 88's and a d reg 90 diesel turbo all going begging, all i need now is a knackered land rover and im home and dry!!

DM

PS I bought a cheap freelander which isnt bad (5K) with 80000 on the clock its not bad off road but its needed a cylinder haed and now needs a transfer box, so i think i'll power wash the mud off and try trading it in

• 2 weeks later...

Firstly, buy Land Rover International, which is the best Landy mag of the lot, then 'ave a gander at all the Series 3 landy's that are about.

You can get a good restoration job for about £3.5k or pay about £1.5k and have a tinker, they are dead easy to work on, just look at the chassis, spring hangers, and the bulkhead before taking it for a drive.

Things to watch then all revolve around gearbox and transfer box which will be the most expensive bits to replace also the steering may wander about a bit as well.

Its worth contacting the Series 3 owners club who can give advice as well and if you join it means dirt cheap insurance.

• 2 weeks later...