farmer resorts to shooting all hares on his land

Davyo

Hare coursing is or should I say was the finest sport there was before the government stuck there beak in and band it are shoot use to leave all the hares for the beaters to run with there dogs instead of shooting them there was always plenty of hares now that hare coursing as been band the shoot just shoot the hares your very lucky to see an hare now on shoot days no wonder the brown hares on the at risk list the hare had a lot more chance against the dogs carnt help but think the government made a big mistake that the brown hare will shortly be made to pay for conservation my arss

It's a sad situation but unless you're willing to deal with them to the extent that they are willing to go to get back at you, you have little chance. The best place for a ***** is the slurry pit, but as with most examples of crime we have more to lose than they do. I can think of several people I would happily bury if I didn't think I'd lose everything for doing it. Trouble is I like my life the way it is, so walking away seems the only option. Shooting the hares solves the problem - it's not the right answer but it's often the only one available to the farmers. The police do nothing and they have to protect their living.

on the other side hares thrive here and the utmost is done to keep ****** off the land and the police are interested. With a result we get to shoot hares each year because they are causing damage so effectively a sustainable harvest.

Lots of ground here has full time keepers and estates with the inclination to fence them off land, if they can't get their vehicles into fields they tend not to bother. That and the fact most of the keepers know each other and everybody keeps an eye out helps.

Your all missing the point the antis have got you turning against another country sport that's how they get things band just like they did hare coursing and fox hunting whats next the shooting brigade turns against fishing because they don't take part in that sport it's time we all stand together and stop slagging other country sports off weather it be hare coursing or shooting or fishing all this you see on the tv about aleagle hare coursing properganda to make it look good for the antis and by the sound of it some people on here ar buying in to it time to stick together or the only pegions we will be shooting in the future are clay ones

Your all missing the point the antis have got you turning against another country sport that's how they get things band just like they did hare coursing and fox hunting whats next the shooting brigade turns against fishing because they don't take part in that sport it's time we all stand together and stop slagging other country sports off weather it be hare coursing or shooting or fishing all this you see on the tv about aleagle hare coursing properganda to make it look good for the antis and by the sound of it some people on here ar buying in to it time to stick together or the only pegions we will be shooting in the future are clay ones

It's not legal hare coursing (or formerly legal coursing, as it is only legal in Ireland now) that people are focusing on. It's the poachers and idiots doing it, the type who would have been in trouble for it even before the hunting act.

I don't know much about hare coursing, but with shooting, a lot of alleged malpractice is down to illegal poaching and not legitimate shooters. Is it maybe the same for hare coursing in the places where it is legal?

Legal hare coursing does not impact on hare numbers because it is in the interests of the people doing it to have a healthy hare population. Not the case with poachers, who will happily kill the lot in one area and then move on. And legal coursers don't cause farmers problems with regards to livestock and other things on the farm. Unlike the poachers whose dogs can and do attack (and sometimes kill) livestock.

Edited by Reece

The trouble is they travel from all over the country for hare coursing and they bet a hell of a lot of money on their dags catching hares. I've got friends that shoot at them, well near them enough with rifles to scare them away and it seems to work, but these ***** aren't very nice people, a local game keeper tried tackling a few a while ago and got a good hiding and his back slashed with a Stanley and his buildings and vehicles burnt out. I personally think they should be classed as vermin with no minimum calibre and shot on site as they don't have any respect for anyone or anything, they cause a fortunes worth of damage to crops and fences and anything else that gets in their way of gambling thousands on catching a few hares and get away with it, it's a joke!, it's a shame we all didn't have the balls to club together and take it into our own hands and drive them all out. Any way that's my rant over, I fu##ing hate ******!!

Caught a subaru forester full of lads on the roadside with one running across the field a few weeks ago on my boss's land, the excuse was they had just bought the dog, let it out for a wee and couldn't catch it, chasing it for miles. The dog stopped for a wee and the lad walked up to it and put it on a lead. I told them they should **** off and not come back. Moving forward to last week (yes i know it's summertime now) my boss was driving across to his other farm by road and a fourtrack shot out of a field driving directly at him in his defender forcing him off the road as they shot past. They had left wheelings all over the spring barley as a result of their actions. Now he tells me that as soon as my fac comes through (which he is encouraging me to get and helping me aquire) he wants everything (his words) shooting so they have nothing to come on the land for. Now i have been lamping with my lurchers on here for years and although the rabbit population isn't big it's good for a few runs, i've always left the hares alone. There is a good healthy population of them and i like to see them about but is the boss wants them gone then i have no choice but to reduce them. We also have a growing population of roe now, again nice to see, but it's only a matter of time before i'm asked to put in for a variation to thin them right out to a level where they aren't seen to be worth poaching too.

It's a sad state of affairs indeed, easier just to be allowed to remove the cause of the problem rather than the source. Hmmm.........i remember the film "Snatch" the best way to dispose of a body is pigs.............my boss has a pig farm too :lol: although there are some things even a pig won't eat..............never mind the piggery has an incinerator

A quick question how many of you would sill keep shooting if it was band all together cos that's Wat they've done with hare coursing what I'm saying is this it's a way of life if its in your blood to do it it's hard to stop you make it aleagle you drive it underground with no restrictions so whats it matter who's land our on . If they band shooting how many would stop or would you still keep going on the quiet

Another thing if the firearms officer could here half of the comments on here about what you would like to do with are so called traveling friend you would probably loose your firearms tickets they have only really started driving on with vehicles since the ban on off less chance of getting court so you can put the damage to the land down to the coursing ban as well round are way we use to have coursing clubs with the farmers getting paid but now it's just a free for all don't no that many coursing lads that was in the club that as packed it in altogether the only real loosers here are the farmers and the brown hares

I think this thread is going off course.Firstly i am not aware that these poachers are from the travelling comunity.And secondly i would not suggest taking the law into your own hands.The point of the post was to indicate that the police did not seem to want to take any action of any sort other than give them a ticking off.As a result & possably due to farmers having no faith in calling the police ever again they are resorting to shooting hares ect.Now if i where to wander around with my rimmy on land i had no perm to be on & plod turned up i wonder if they would resort to giving me a good ticking off?

Edited by Davyo

• 3 months later...

Thought it may be a good idea to resurrect this post now that the coursing season has started.

We've only had one incident on our Fen and fortunately I was around at the time to let them see I was on to them before they could get started, so they they ******** off.

I don't know if other police forces have an alert system but here in Lincolnshire we have a text and email alert system which when it works properly lets all those that have signed up to it know where the coursers are so you know they're around and can keep an eye out for them.

I suppose it helps that I and my neighbouring farmers have finally got together to harass them when they turn up and purely by doing that the amount of incidents has dropped significantly as the last thing the coursers want is to risk get caught by old bill when they visit our Fen which has happened in the past when we've blocked all their exits off the Fen.

If it means we get left alone and the rest of the farming community and landowners suffer more because of our actions when the coursers visit them instead of us then that's tough but at least we're left alone and can get on with life knowing we won't suffer crop damage and everything else that goes with getting visits by our traveller "friends"!

The way the police force appears to 'work' now leads me to believe you have to make a 'fuss' in order for anything to seriously get done. Once poachers are on the land or travelling round looking for somewhere to poach it needs to be called in by different people every time. Once someone up the chain sees their stats being spoiled, lots of crimes / incidents being reported and little or none of them being solved will meaningful action be taken. Once enough of a 'fuss' has been made officers will come out in numbers, having been trained / briefed on poaching and their powers / laws and sieze dogs, vehicles, lamps etc and arrest the law breakers.

Disco Stu, the problem in Lincolnshire is that the police here classify coursing and poaching as an "anti-social crime" which when I last looked at the Government guide on classifying crime is correct.

Until the Government reclassify these wildlife crimes into a more meaningful category the stats will be meaningless from a serious crime point of view and easily overlooked by the senior officers in the police force.

To put it into perspective, being driven at and knocked down, having your car written off when coursers ram your vehicle, being assaulted, having your property damaged and livestock injured, having your wife and kids being seriously scared and worrying about having return visits at night to steal property that's been sussed by the coursers, is regarded by the Government and police as an anti-social crime.

If any of that happened two or three times a week in an urban area and there'd be a riot if the police did nothing about it!

Another problem is that to many police officers don't see it as anything other than a few men in a field doing no real harm and don't rush to get to the incident or conveniently get lost and turn up a couple of hours later if at all. B**tards!

Edited by rogcal