WWII pilot gets shown footage of his 1944 Spitfire crash that he's

English archer

Would you believe that today my Mum, now 87, gave me my Dad's RAF log book that records his training and every flight that he ever made with aircraft type, number, hours and departure and destination bases. He was in Africa and the Middle East for his war and as a ferry pilot flew a large assortment of aircraft from Spitfires, Hurricanes up to Ansons, Beaufighters, Wellingtons, Baltimores etc. He continued after the war and converted to Meteor jet fighters and flew out of RAF Colerne near Bath.

He had lots of stories like a squadron of new spitfires built from crates in Africa having to belly land as the undercarriages did not work; landing in the desert as they all had the runs from the food the night before; getting carpeted for belly landing a Spit without feathering the prop first which meant the engine had to have a rebuild because it jarred to a stop; getting off the hard sand track as tail end charlie following all the other planes behind a jeep after landing and tipping a Maurauder on its nose in the desert; going on the booze run to Cyprus to buy 3 barrels of Cypriot brandy, the large barrel for the officers, the medium one for the NCO's and the small one for the other ranks; drunken airmen trying to climb up and down the ridge tents that they slept in in the desert and lots of photos of playing cricket in the desert. He had a wonderful way of making light of it all yet years later he went through a faze of not being able to fly on holiday because he was terrified of the fear of burning in a plane crash as he had seen it happen during the war.

For those of us who grew up with Brian Inglis and "All Our Yesterdays", it is a sobering thought that for today's teenagers, the end of the Second World War is more remote than the start of the First World War was for us at that age. In fact, it equates to the Boer War....

Nick

Would you believe that today my Mum, now 87, gave me my Dad's RAF log book that records his training and every flight that he ever made with aircraft type, number, hours and departure and destination bases. He was in Africa and the Middle East for his war and as a ferry pilot flew a large assortment of aircraft from Spitfires, Hurricanes up to Ansons, Beaufighters, Wellingtons, Baltimores etc. He continued after the war and converted to Meteor jet fighters and flew out of RAF Colerne near Bath.

He had lots of stories like a squadron of new spitfires built from crates in Africa having to belly land as the undercarriages did not work; landing in the desert as they all had the runs from the food the night before; getting carpeted for belly landing a Spit without feathering the prop first which meant the engine had to have a rebuild because it jarred to a stop; getting off the hard sand track as tail end charlie following all the other planes behind a jeep after landing and tipping a Maurauder on its nose in the desert; going on the booze run to Cyprus to buy 3 barrels of Cypriot brandy, the large barrel for the officers, the medium one for the NCO's and the small one for the other ranks; drunken airmen trying to climb up and down the ridge tents that they slept in in the desert and lots of photos of playing cricket in the desert. He had a wonderful way of making light of it all yet years later he went through a faze of not being able to fly on holiday because he was terrified of the fear of burning in a plane crash as he had seen it happen during the war.

It is a remarkable piece of history and very moving too.

The log book is the secret to a pilots good memory. I can tell you everything I did for 42 years - providing I was at work. It is there in my own handwriting - dates, times, aircraft registrations, other crew members and notes of interest - like engine failures etc.

What I did last week I have no idea unless I ask the Memsahib!

In the last two days I have been sent this story from UK, Canada, USA, South Africa and now PW.

This guy has become an international hero - And rightly so too.

That generation was special and we owe them everything that we enjoy today.

I couldn't agree more, unfortunately I am afraid it is being forgotten.

Too much emphasis on ancient history in schools, and not enough time spent studying more recent events.

Just my opinion.

My son has been studying not-so-ancient history for his GCSE - covering the period from 1914 to the fall of the Berlin Wall. The earlier stuff gives an insight into what has made our country what it it is, politically, economically and socially. What do you think should not be studied as I am unsure what you have a problem with?

Nick