Pigeons starting on the peas !!

ditchman

For the first time in 3 years, i have just seen pigeons lazily dropping out of the oaks and gliding onto a field of peas that have just come into flower inthe last few days.

the field is not mine to shoot but the oaks and roost wood next to the field is !!, im going to spend an hour with the bins up there tomorrow and see what is happening then if it is coming good a good all day session in the week with a couple of mates, last year the peas were 2 fields away and nothing hit it from sowing to harvest, 3 lads turned up early doors after the previous nights harvesting and didnt even bother to set up !

anyway we will see what comes off during the week....the numbers didnt look large but nice an steady in 2s and 3s dropping in..couldnt see how many on the floor, but if i burn 20-30 catridges an hour for a while i will be well chuffed............

yeah.....got the nod from the farmer (he is actully a mate of mine) but he is also very wildlife orinintated, dosnt like game shot on his land and he has grey partridge fluttering about....he says help yourself, but i always like to ask first, then im not sitting there wondering if i should have let him know...if it is not too hot on the weekend i will give it a go.........

yeah.....got the nod from the farmer (he is actully a mate of mine) but he is also very wildlife orinintated, dosnt like game shot on his land and he has grey partridge fluttering about....he says help yourself, but i always like to ask first, then im not sitting there wondering if i should have let him know...if it is not too hot on the weekend i will give it a go.........

Do you not like shooting in the heat?

Do you not like shooting in the heat?

dont really like sitting in the hide when its too hot......the pigeons also prefer to hang around in the trees and become torpid.....the only time i will shoot when it is hot and humid and getting ready for a thunderstorm...then the birds go beserk...ok ..you get wet but some of the best short sessions ive had is when ive got pis* wet thro in a thunderstorm........

just been for a recce up the pea field at 3 o'clock today, and sat in the landy for 1/2 an hour....birds are doing exactly the same as yesterday, lazily dropping down into the pea field from the oaks and the wood.....phoned my mate and we will set up at 2ish...it should be a bit cooler tomorrow after so called rain to-night...and as there is another front moving in late tomorrow, it should keep the birds on the feed tomorrow.....was only up there for 30 mins but saw 20-30 birds in ones and twos glide onto the field..........................what they are doing is, gliding down onto the bottom of the field....feeding, then up into some big oaks for a while, then up to the wood 90 deg' turn at the top of the wood (where we will be) then either into the oaks at the top of the wood or glide down back into the pea field...then the cycle repeats itself !!

see what happens ........

You lost me half way through! What you possibly should have done this afternoon was to have pushed them out of the trees. You would have then been able to see if they returned on a long flight line or not.

couldnt shoot today.....had my front teeth taken out by the dentist at midday....so felt a bit under parr...should be alright tomorrow....

cracking pics and a good bag..well done :good:

could not of been easy after your trip to the dentist... :sad1:

felt as if i had been slapped in the face with a wet cod.....feel better this eve....get my plate fitted in the next week or so............tried whistling "Dixie" to no avail !