FUD's or Flocked Shell Crow decoys?

Gregthegreat

Hi Greg not tried fuds i use flocked shells and full body decoys, if you going to shoot crows regular think you want to get a few more crow decoys. I use about 15 + mixed and add dead birds. I buy my gear off The Pigeon Shooter at a fair price and good service. atb Terry

Hi Greg

i have just put a video up of us shooting crows over sillosocks in the hunting video section.

i use sillosocks 1 they are as light as 2 they attract birds in very well 3 they are not to expensive.

they work mint on both pigeons and crows.

i usually put out about 20 crows and a few pigeons for crows.

or 20 pigeons and a few crows for pigeons.

then just add dead birds to the pattern.

you can fit 40-50 of them in the top of the rucksack no problem

i have tried shells and fuds but fuds were next to useless compared to sillosocks so got rid of them pronto.

i still use shells if i feel the need to put a bigger pattern out or more than one pattern.

but to be honest i am just going to buy more sillosocks.

online you can get 12 for the price of 10.

hope this helps

Daz

to be honest i found rotaries with hyperflap crows on scared them away but bouncers made them more curious but once the word got out they seem to disappear and become skittish.

so i just put the crow decoys out and as i shoot any i go straight out and lay them out with there wings spread as wide as is possible and tail fanned out.

if any wont lay out because of damage i bring them in,i never leave scruffy birds out it only seems to scare them off and once one gets scared they all get scared.

i am going to start using cradles to see if they add or detract anything.

one thing i have learned is that the more you cover up and the more hidden you are the better.

with pigeons i find if its to windy the flappers scare them off because as i think as been mentioned by another member they tend to look like birds of prey hovering.

but rotaries do work most of the time to bring birds in from a distance but only if they are in a feeding mood. you can't make birds come out of the trees to eat crops when they are tuned into eating

something else.

dont waste your time on fuds they are not as compact and as light as you would believe and they dont work unless its the time of year when if you put a bunch of onions in the field they would come to have a look

and then any decoys work.

i have never tried the sillosocks covers only the proper ones they move very nicely and attract most birds that come anywhere near which is handy when they are scarce.

Cheers

Daz

Hi Greg

i have just put a video up of us shooting crows over sillosocks in the hunting video section.

i use sillosocks 1 they are as light as 2 they attract birds in very well 3 they are not to expensive.

they work mint on both pigeons and crows.

i usually put out about 20 crows and a few pigeons for crows.

or 20 pigeons and a few crows for pigeons.

then just add dead birds to the pattern.

you can fit 40-50 of them in the top of the rucksack no problem

i have tried shells and fuds but fuds were next to useless compared to sillosocks so got rid of them pronto.

i still use shells if i feel the need to put a bigger pattern out or more than one pattern.

but to be honest i am just going to buy more sillosocks.

online you can get 12 for the price of 10.

hope this helps

Daz

Surely just crow decoys for crows and pigeon decoys for pigeons is all you need?

Sound advice there Daz. I'm all over good hide's etc.

I've bought some flocked shell decoys from A1 Shooting so I'll see how they compare.

I've found cradles work a treat with a good size bird in and the heads in mostly the feeding position with a few head up as sentries. I'll have to try placing them down fanned out. Also looking at making up a flying decoy on a pole type sketch to bring realistic movement to the pattern rather than two birds going round and round. I think the crows are too wise to fall for it fully personally!

i think flocked decoys probably work ok and a lot of people use them with great success but its the stand up movement i think gives the sillosocks the edge because any wind and they move and spin around on there pegs which i think attracts the birds. i like to think the movement catches there eye and i think they have a UV coating.maybe just fantasy but it makes me more positive.

crows tend to come in have a look from a distance and you can almost see that they are trying to make out what is going on and usually they do work it out.

i just stick to putting them on the ground.

Daz