Labrador fainting on slip lead

gunsafe

Hi Guys

My pup is now 11 months old, doing really well very fit and active with no signs of ill health shorness breath etc. very fit indeed.

But recently whilst walking out on a slip lead (as usual with all my dogs) when I pull him up when a car is passing or another dog is being aggressive etc, he has dropped to the ground and fainted. Only done this in the last month and only happens when pulling his slip lead (not overtight either) it seams that now if I put any pressure on the slip lead he faints for about 5 seconds, this has happened three times. I have tested him during exersise and he has or shows no problems at all. Is this normal do some labs have weaker winpipes, the reson i say this is I have not experienced this on any of my other 7 labs?

Your help would be much appreciated

Never had anything like that problem with any Labs I've got or had, nor heard of it before. Sounds like some sort of possible restriction, maybe oxygen to the brain?

I'd seek out the vet and get a medical opinion.

Be very interested to hear any conclusions to this.

Keep us posted ..... Good luck with him.

DaveL

It can't be anything to do with oxygen supply. A tug on a slip lead lasts a split second, that little amount of time cannot make a dog faint through lack of oxygen. If it did every dog, and everything that breathes, would faint between breathing in and breathing out every time it drew breath !!!!!!. Get the dog to the vets.

Edited by cocker boy

It can't be anything to do with oxygen supply. A tug on a slip lead lasts a split second, that little amount of time cannot make a dog faint through lack of oxygen. If it did every dog, and everything that breathes, would faint between breathing in and breathing out every time it drew breath !!!!!!. Get the dog to the vets.

Is there not a supply of oxygen in the bloodstream then ..... ? I did say earlier "oxygen to the brain"

If the blood supply is interrupted for a very short time it might cause the problem.

An example is something we as stupid kids used to do until we were told in no uncertain terms the dangers - DO NOT TRY IT AS IT'S POTENTIALY FATAL!!!

One gullible kid stands still, takes a deep breath then holds hands above his head. Another wraps his arms around gullible kids chest from behind ..... kid passes out very quickly due to interrupted blood supply.

DaveL

Is there not a supply of oxygen in the bloodstream then ..... ? I did say earlier "oxygen to the brain"

If the blood supply is interrupted for a very short time it might cause the problem.

An example is something we as stupid kids used to do until we were told in no uncertain terms the dangers - DO NOT TRY IT AS IT'S POTENTIALY FATAL!!!

One gullible kid stands still, takes a deep breath then holds hands above his head. Another wraps his arms around gullible kids chest from behind ..... kid passes out very quickly due to interrupted blood supply.

DaveL

Does the gullible kid pass out after a split second??A half second?.No didn't think so. A tug on a lead is a split second. That will not make a dog faint through lack of oxygen. Take the dog to the vet.

Had a choc lab that did this on occasion, just kind of keeled over for a few seconds and it always happened on a slip lead when there was a little bit of pressure. Vet reckoned it was a form of epilepsy, but as it only happened occasionally and she was getting on a bit we didn't do any tests. It didn't happen every time there was pressure applied though.

I would take him to the vet too, worth trying a muzzle lead/halter, my springer pulls like a bit and chokes if using a slip lead so I halter him and have him perfectly at heel now breathing normally. Deffo worth a vets appointment, better safe than sorry

Hi Guys

My pup is now 11 months old, doing really well very fit and active with no signs of ill health shorness breath etc. very fit indeed.

But recently whilst walking out on a slip lead (as usual with all my dogs) when I pull him up when a car is passing or another dog is being aggressive etc, he has dropped to the ground and fainted. Only done this in the last month and only happens when pulling his slip lead (not overtight either) it seams that now if I put any pressure on the slip lead he faints for about 5 seconds, this has happened three times. I have tested him during exersise and he has or shows no problems at all. Is this normal do some labs have weaker winpipes, the reson i say this is I have not experienced this on any of my other 7 labs?

Your help would be much appreciated

What did the vet have to say?