Just picked up my new scope :-)

aister

Just been and picked up my new scope to replace the leupold vx3 6.5-20 thats on my .223, the leupold is a good scope and the target turrets are perfect but the cross hair is too fine for lamping with the red filter. After some pondering and head scratching I ordered a nightforce NXS 5.5-22x56, it is huge :blush: it kind of swamps my wee A-bolt ha ha. Can't wait until I get a calm day to get it zeroed and have a play with it :)

It costs a fortune, over 2K list in the UK now I believe, but there are still deals to be done. It also weights a ton and some of the reticles are very fine for night work as well.

Good scopes, built well, and adequate glass, the weight puts me off, on top of which I just don't need the tiny fraction benefit they give over dramatically cheaper scopes.

ATB!

:good:

Just been and picked up my new scope

I just did that. :sad1: It's not quite brand new as I've had it a month or two. It was attached to my rifle at the time which was on the bonnet of the Ranger just before I picked it up. Wasn't shooting but playing with the mil dot spacing and walked out 90 yards to move a bit of tape on the 'target'. Walking back I could see something was missing. A gust of wind from nowhere had got under the 'flotex' strip which was protecting the bonnet and stopping the bipod rubbers from sliding and deposited everything on to the ground. Fortunately, it landed butt first before striking the scope. It knocked the zero way out but although I didn't get it spot on (the wind then really got up) it looks as though I got away with it as it does adjust and group well enough to tell all will be well when it's calmer.

There's a moral there! :yes:

I got it from my RFD for £1450 which was cheaper than I could find to order myself, here is a couple of pics.

attachicon.gifzz11.jpg

attachicon.gifzzz111.jpg

I won't tell you what my S/H mint, boxed 5.5-22 X 56 cost. :whistling::)

But not to worry. You've bought an excellent scope. I take it yours has the zerolock turrets?

Mine has the old non-locking type which made it a good buy. Its rolled around in a gunslip many times without the turrets shifting, and as the furthest I ever target shoot with my .222, which it sits on, is 400 yds I never needed the click locks to find my original zero so I'm more than happy with it.

It'll look less of a lump without the anti-glare extension tube on the front. Take it off and it'll look more at home on your rifle.

You might find your reticle illumination is set to maximum. They seem to come like that and its far too bright. Turn it right down and its excellent in low light and for lamping.

You've bought one of the toughest, most reliable scopes on the market. Its not as bright as a Swarovski but the difference isn't enough to worry about. And in any case, it doesn't get dark in summer where you are does it? B)

Enjoy.

Just bought myself a new leupold 6.5-20x50 vx3 lr gone on my new howa .308 fancied a good quality scope for a change but when I was at the Rfd picking it up was offered a mint nightforce 5-22-56 cracking scope just didn't like the reticle it had, think the quality of the scope was just above the leupold but was just a shame that the reticle didn't suit for target shooting more a reticle for deer stalking

I just did that. :sad1: It's not quite brand new as I've had it a month or two. It was attached to my rifle at the time which was on the bonnet of the Ranger just before I picked it up. Wasn't shooting but playing with the mil dot spacing and walked out 90 yards to move a bit of tape on the 'target'. Walking back I could see something was missing. A gust of wind from nowhere had got under the 'flotex' strip which was protecting the bonnet and stopping the bipod rubbers from sliding and deposited everything on to the ground. Fortunately, it landed butt first before striking the scope. It knocked the zero way out but although I didn't get it spot on (the wind then really got up) it looks as though I got away with it as it does adjust and group well enough to tell all will be well when it's calmer.

There's a moral there! :yes:

There was a lesson there as well.

I shot nearly 100 rounds on two sessions before I twigged that it wasn't going to play. I could make a 2" group (if you can call 2" a group at 70 yards) move about but I simply couldn't reduce it. So I went back to the beginning and remembered that I was doing a check zero when the wind stopped play. This was because, although it was shooting its usual 1/2" at the 70 yards, something didn't seem right and I then discovered the action to wood screws were loose - sufficient to cause movement. I'd just tightened them and thought I'd just do a quick check as soon as possible. Then I remembered that the last time that I had an iffy scope the bullets hosed everywhere - not at all like this problem.

I finally engaged the brain and got a sheet of folding stuff from the wallet. Doubled, it would but really didn't want to go. Fifteen minutes with some sand paper finishing with some stock oil and giving the action a clean and the trigger a tweak while this dried a bit and job done. Back on the farm, a couple of rounds for the barrel and then straight into the 1/2" group as normal. A few more for the zero and all is well.

The lesson? Never forget the obvious basics although to be fair the wind, which didn't actually cause any damage, was a nasty red herring. I should have checked the clearance after tightening the screws.