Blueing Ruger 10/22 Stainless Barrel

tjm160

Can anyone help with advising whether it is possible to blue a stainless Ruger 10/22 barrel?

I plan to use as my rabbit lamping rifle and can pick a nearly new one up with moderator and new Nikko 4-12X50 IR scope and mounts for just £235. Whilst I would prefer a blued barrel so it doesn't stand out like the bulldogs proverbial's, it's hard to pass up at that price.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts.

To answer your question it isn't really possible to blue stainless steel. There are some treatments which will black the metal or you could have it nitrided, but realistically if you wanted a blued barrel you really need to get a chrome moly barrel. I doubt you would have any problems with stainless and you could always get a camo sock or camo tape.

Thanks gents, most helpful and much appreciated. A shiny barrel whilst looking nice, goes against the grain in the field. Having slept on it I can't pass up at that price. If still there when the shop opens I'll be purchasing and having sent to local RFD. I'll start with crossy's Jake Pyke cover suggestion (thanks chap!) and keep a loose eye out for a replacement blued barrel (thanks WW). Thanks for the advice on the blueing Rem, that's saved a pointless search to try and have blued :good:

I had the stainless on my 10/22 and I shot literally thousands of rabbits with so I wouldn't worry about it! And obviously stainless doesn't rust, the outside of mine never got cleaned and never marked, I did wrap it in cammo tape to stop it Getting marked though