Falconers

deaquire

Any falconers here?

Dipped in & out over the years but not had a hawk since my old Gos passed away but still try to keep in touch with things .

ATB Pole Star .

ps in the photos section not too long ago some one put a photo on of the young goshawks he bred , its there some where .

Edited by Pole Star

You don't hear much from us because like the birds we fly / hunt it is too late when you see us / them

hope this answers the above posts LOL LOL

Hi Sledge, dont suppose you fancy flying over our warehouses and getting rid of the bloody gulls do you ?

Edited by spanj

Nice Harris you have there Neil whats she like on the Bunnies ?

WAS awsome she flew onto a junction box last year and got killed...............awsome on feather too and on the lamp a very good big all round bird at 2lb 9 hunting weight she even took cormarants

WAS awsome she flew onto a junction box last year and got killed...............awsome on feather too and on the lamp a very good big all round bird at 2lb 9 hunting weight she even took cormarants

2lb 9 is a good sized bird, my female hunts a 2lb 8 and will take feather all day long. Takes rabbits on the lamp at the same weight but have to take 1/2 oz off her to fly them during the day. Had so much success on feather it's her preferred quarry.

I fly a female harris and have flown Gyr x Sakers in the past, like said by 2sledge the best all round bird. It's just a pity too many dabble with them and don't get to see the birds at their full potential along with not having a mentor in place and end up losing them or killing them. The hardcore harris flyers have been tainted with the same brush as the back street kids who dabble then give up after one winter season because they don't or cant afford to but the food for the summer moult.

Far to many are been bred and sold for pittence nowadays, when i had my first harris i paid £1600 for her back in 1989 now you can get one for £200 if you look around, me personnely woud license the sport just like our shooting. My profile picture shows me and my son who flies with me at the age of 8 and loves doing the ferreting.post-64335-0-65581800-1373959850_thumb.jpgpost-64335-0-72810600-1373959865_thumb.jpg

NeilandLady.jpg

my old bird lady and a very thin young looking highseas!

Lady.jpg

Whats with the bale twine ? :sick: i'm sorry but pictures showing the incorrect equipment and techniques are the exact things that get the Harris hawk fliers a bad name. I take it you were using it as a creance ? if so why when a correct creance costs less than £7.

Did you keep her free lofted or tethered down ? only asking because her tail feathers look battered and very worse for wear or the incorrect flooring within her mews :no: .

I used to fly my own Harris Hawks and also a couple of others when I worked for the NBC. I alos had contact with a good few other Birds Of Prey including a young Steppe Eagle called Storm. (1st couple of photos) I never could fully put my trust in Storm, she just had "that look" about her!

My favourite bird was Buffy, a 6 year old HH Female who had spent all of her life in a seclusion aviery for breeding till I bought her. I had her on the fist and flying free within a fortnight and she proved to be quite a formidable hunter for both fur and feather. The sequence of photos in the next post shows her determination after flying and loosing a rabbit in a dry stone wall, she would not give up on it and knew it was in there somewhere. She knew no fear and hed to be coaxed off a large Bronze Turkek she spotted while I was still inexperienced and training her.

post-17172-0-95486200-1373963717_thumb.jpg

post-17172-0-47435500-1373963731_thumb.jpg

post-17172-0-58373500-1373963747_thumb.jpg

post-17172-0-32323400-1373963780_thumb.jpg

I fly a female harris and have flown Gyr x Sakers in the past, like said by 2sledge the best all round bird. It's just a pity too many dabble with them and don't get to see the birds at their full potential along with not having a mentor in place and end up losing them or killing them. The hardcore harris flyers have been tainted with the same brush as the back street kids who dabble then give up after one winter season because they don't or cant afford to but the food for the summer moult.

Far to many are been bred and sold for pittence nowadays, when i had my first harris i paid £1600 for her back in 1989 now you can get one for £200 if you look around, me personnely woud license the sport just like our shooting. My profile picture shows me and my son who flies with me at the age of 8 and loves doing the ferreting.attachicon.gifCJ Me AND JESS (1024x768).jpgattachicon.giftaking the bunny (650x491).jpg

Good pic of that Harris after the rabbit you can see the hawk means business ! .

As for licensing hawk owners Raptor 1971 umm do we really want more regulation ? or need it ? sadly hawking dose attract some part time posers .

ATB Pole Star

ps Shot gun certs don't exactly stop the occasional idiot from shooting birds of prey , I flew a Kestrel at hack for 2 summers & always took her down at week ends just in case but one sunny Saturday morning I took her down & fed her up & said to my self " ah she will be ok " but that was a mistake .

I later heard a gun shot close to my boundary with the farm next door which startled my horses which all came running , upon hearing this I got suspicious & got my lure & went looking for her , well I never saw her again .

I later heard who done the filthy deed but I had no proof . That was in Ireland some 15 years ago .

Edited by Pole Star

Far to many are been bred and sold for pittence nowadays, when i had my first harris i paid £1600 for her back in 1989 now you can get one for £200 if you look around, me personnely woud license the sport just like our shooting. My profile picture shows me and my son who flies with me at the age of 8 and loves doing the ferreting.attachicon.gifCJ Me AND JESS (1024x768).jpgattachicon.giftaking the bunny (650x491).jpg

Im a falconer, and also breed falcons. I agree with your points regarding licensing. THEN, just as I was thinking, heres a man who seems to have his head screwed on the right way, I see your last pic. Its courtesy to credit the photographer and not to try and fool others into thinking that's your bird or you took the photo.

Edited by ayrshiretaxidermy

Im a falconer, and also breed falcons. I agree with your points regarding licensing. THEN, just as I was thinking, heres a man who seems to have his head screwed on the right way, I see your last pic. Its courtesy to credit the photographer and not to try and fool others into thinking that's your bird or you took the photo.

Thanks for the comment but as you can see i have not said that the bird is mine nor i took the photo, i posted the picture of the bird to show the true potential and meaning of hawking, i did say however that the picture shows my son and me with my bird. I appoogise if i have misled someone or upset someone in posting the picture .