Ft per second - ft/lb

Is there a formula that I can convert ft per second to ft/lb? I want to check my FAC air rifle and a few others on my chronoraph.

Steve.

You need the bullet weight as well. Multiply the velovity by its self, divide that by 450400 then mulitply the result by the weight in grains. The result is the energy in foot pounds.

J.

You need the bullet weight as well. Multiply the velovity by its self, divide that by 450400 then mulitply the result by the weight in grains. The result is the energy in foot pounds.

J.

Yep, that's a better way of doing it. PyramydAir is OK for air rifle but for rifle, if you try to multiply the whole top line before dividing by the 450436, you'll dump the calculator because of the higher velocities.

Its 450240; the constant of gravity. For example 8g x 8g x 600fps / 450240 will give u the foot pounds. I'm sire the odd slip on numbers won't make a huge difference but that is the fiqure so u may as well use it.

Not that it matters in the slightest, but just out of interest it is 450436. 7000 times 32.174 (international gravitational acceleration) divided by 0.5 equals. :whistling:

I have no idea. However it serves exceptionally well for the purposes, I unddtstanu that the late and great author or airr rifles and pistols, that I read as a child, used this formula and having followed it, it is the same as any other in results that others have used. Hence I quote the fiqure

Edited by GingerCat

Its 450240; the constant of gravity. For example 8g x 8g x 600fps / 450240 will give u the foot pounds. I'm sire the odd slip on numbers won't make a huge difference but that is the fiqure so u may as well use it.

I always used to use 450240. However, I believe that 450400 is the more precise figure, for some reason. I'll dig out where I read that.

J.

I always used to use 450240. However, I believe that 450400 is the more precise figure, for some reason. I'll dig out where I read that.

J.

Have a shufti at the internationally agreed SI units and you'll see that the equivalent figure you're looking for is 32.174 and then do the maths.