Just watching is informative.

JDog

It's far too hot for shooting - for me and the dogs anyway, but it's a good time for observation.

There are no laid crops round here as far as I can see so that food source is not on for pigeons. The peas have just begun to turn yellowish and there are a lot less birds on them. The patches of winter rape are no longer attractive to them and the spring rape has grown away and it is too tall for them to land in. The clover, which was just beginning to feed a few birds has dried up in the heat and there was not a bird to be seen there today.

There are however two diverse food sources feeding pigeons at the moment. One is a patch of what would have been 'set aside' but which is just volunteer wheat. The corvids got in there early and now the pigeons are getting in in some numbers. The second food source is Prunus avium commonly known as wild cherry. There is a long line of these trees on one of the roads into the village and all are covered in juicy fruit which the pigeons are picking off voraciously. It would be interesting to eat one of these birds to see if the meat has been flavoured by the cherry fruit.

All on standing wheat at the moment, a lot as will. I noticed it a few years ago that the bird lay on top of the standing wheat with wings open. when you look at an area where they have been the heads are all stripped with the stem still standing.

A good observation.

It's far too hot for shooting - for me and the dogs anyway, but it's a good time for observation.

There are no laid crops round here as far as I can see so that food source is not on for pigeons. The peas have just begun to turn yellowish and there are a lot less birds on them. The patches of winter rape are no longer attractive to them and the spring rape has grown away and it is too tall for them to land in. The clover, which was just beginning to feed a few birds has dried up in the heat and there was not a bird to be seen there today.

There are however two diverse food sources feeding pigeons at the moment. One is a patch of what would have been 'set aside' but which is just volunteer wheat. The corvids got in there early and now the pigeons are getting in in some numbers. The second food source is Prunus avium commonly known as wild cherry. There is a long line of these trees on one of the roads into the village and all are covered in juicy fruit which the pigeons are picking off voraciously. It would be interesting to eat one of these birds to see if the meat has been flavoured by the cherry fruit.

Jdog

One of my perms grows alot of fruit, strawberrys mainley and the pigeons are greedy for them they were a bit late this year but i have still shot qute a few and yes the meat does smell and taste of strawberrys

Atb Lee

I was watching them do just that whilst stack in traffic on the M25 yesterday evening between the A1 and A111.

All on standing wheat at the moment, a lot as will. I noticed it a few years ago that the bird lay on top of the standing wheat with wings open. when you look at an area where they have been the heads are all stripped with the stem still standing.