Game sausage help...

Daveo26

Right gents, having a family BBQ this weekend found in my freezer pigeon, pheasant, a hare, and some lumps of roe,

I've diced it all and added some belly pork.

I've also got several boxes of suffing mix.

Can I get away with adding stuffing mix to the meat, maybe some olive oil if its dry and get a decent sausage mix?

I've made them before but used bread crumbs.

What sort of ratio should I be mixing?

50/50, 75 meat 25 filler?

Any advice would be great.

Like I've said I've done them before but always made single ingredient mixes.

Thank you 1000000000 times

Right gents, having a family BBQ this weekend found in my freezer pigeon, pheasant, a hare, and some lumps of roe,

I've diced it all and added some belly pork.

I've also got several boxes of suffing mix.

Can I get away with adding stuffing mix to the meat, maybe some olive oil if its dry and get a decent sausage mix?

I've made them before but used bread crumbs.

What sort of ratio should I be mixing?

50/50, 75 meat 25 filler?

Any advice would be great.

Like I've said I've done them before but always made single ingredient mixes.

Thank you 1000000000 times

Hi

Dont put stuffing mix in it or bread crumbs

i make a fair amount of sausage simple is best i would try the following

50/50 game and pork meat with a fair amount of the fat left on the pork it will cook out of the sausage on the bbq but will stop the sausage being dry .

15 grms of salt per kilo of meat

then just add some herbs of your choice

i make a italian sausage that has fennel seed and chilli flakes added about a table spoon of fennel seed per kilo chilli to suit your taste

hope this helps enjoy :)

cheers Rob

Hi

Dont put stuffing mix in it or bread crumbs

i make a fair amount of sausage simple is best i would try the following

50/50 game and pork meat with a fair amount of the fat left on the pork it will cook out of the sausage on the bbq but will stop the sausage being dry .

15 grms of salt per kilo of meat

then just add some herbs of your choice

i make a italian sausage that has fennel seed and chilli flakes added about a table spoon of fennel seed per kilo chilli to suit your taste

hope this helps enjoy :)

cheers Rob

Hi rob I've tried simple before and I ended up with like a dog meat sausage with a strange flavour.

I might have to mix up a small batch just with pork and see what it's like. Cheers for the advice.

there is only one way to find out! I've always used rusk and seasoning but in theory stuffing mix is breadcrumbs. as for the mix of meat you should be fine just mix well and mince well

That's what I'm thinking I bought some "classic sausage mix" seasoning and it was basically sage and onion stuffing mix with out the breadcrumbs, and quite peppery.

I think I'll mix up two batches one with one with out and fry them off and just see.

Cheers gents

Just been googling, there are some spanners out there!

I was mainly getting how to make stuffing stuff, one person gave their family recipe;

Buy top quality sausages cut them open to get the meat out add to a packet of shop bought stuffing mix and make into balls then bake in the oven!!!!!

How is that a recipe?

Do people even know where meat comes from anymore?

Its a ******* disaster not sure why it went wrong but it did, I stink of sage and ******* onion.

Not happy wheelie bin is full of disgusting slimy sausage meat **** **** ******* **** ******

Oh yeah ******* remove my ******* swear words why don't you it's my only ******* release I feeling like my ******* **** of a head is going to implode ****** ****

Oh get ****ed

Its a ******* disaster not sure why it went wrong but it did, I stink of sage and ******* onion.

Not happy wheelie bin is full of disgusting slimy sausage meat **** **** ******* **** *******

Oh yeah ******* remove my ******* swear words why don't you it's my only ******* release I feeling like my ******* **** of a head is going to implode ******* ****

Oh get ******

What went wrong ??? maybe you should get a good sausage book ? .

What went wrong ??? maybe you should get a good sausage book ? .

I got the impression that things did not go so well for Daveo too.

Don't dispair, try again. Next time and try approx 70% lean meat, 30% pork back fat & a pre-mixed sausage seasoning like this http://www.weschenfelder.co.uk/content/game-sausage-seasoning-red-wine and things should be ok.

Let us know how you get on

Well basically it didnt go well, i managed to make maybe a dozen or so good sized sausages.

Then the wheels fell off. I wont go into details but i had a major do with the wife IMHO who wasnt doing her bit properly.

Anyway the day after we had a bbq and we tried them, they were actually very nice more burgery in texture, and perhaps a little bland but not bad. also not enough fat.

I cooked some "farm shop" sausages and they were sooo fatty it was unbelievable

• 5 weeks later...

Cereal or Breadcrumb in the mix helps retain some fat to keep them moist.

KEEP YOUR MEATS CHILLED!

Warm meat goes horrid and slimey, you NEED to keep it cold at all times if you can help it.

I find passing the meat throung the mincer twice is better. Once it's ground leave it to chill in the fridge before mixing it. Also do NOT spend too long mixing the meat as this causes the mix to turn like gloop too. Keep the mixing short and sweet. Once to stuff your casings, put the sausages on a plate and leave to rest overnight. make into links, and if your meat was FRESH you can freeze the sausages for later.

I tend to use belly pork for the fatty content. Then mix with either pigeon or rabbit. both are lean meats and need the fat from the pork.

15% fat, 1.5% salt. From there, follow your instincts with flavourings.

Make small patties and fry them to test for favour, but keep in mind that the flavours will intensify if you allow the sausage to bloom/mature (basically leave them in the fridge for 24-36 hours).

Game goes well with fruit and red wine. If it works in the oven, it shoud work in a sausage. I have several books - I can look up some game recipe if you like. Otherwise Len Poli's site is a sausage making bible.

http://lpoli.50webs.com/Sausage%20recipes.htm

Pork fat from the back. Butchers can buy it on its own, but you are unlikely to find it at a supermarket!

Basically get some fatty loin chops, and cut the excess fat off before cooking. I save excess pork fat in the freezer for sausage making. You could use any pork fat though, but back fat has good texture and melting qualities for sausage.

Edited by aris

Dave

I've got some rusk I use for sausage and pork pies if you need some.

This replaces breadcrumbs and as said previously it absorbs some of the fat and keeps your sausage moist.

Just let me know mate

Just if anyone interested my brother uses serials as rusk in his bangers & it works fine when up here in the summer he used dry porridge oats even weetabix works .