Shale gas extraction - good or bad?

junctiontwo

Fracking - right or wrong?  

61 members have voted

1. 1. Should the UK push ahead with fracking?

• Yes - the economy desperately needs it and bills need to come down
    • No - there are potential environmental negatives
    • No opinion
    • I don't know enough about it
    • No - my bills are very affordable

They are trying to start fracking around the corner from us and the amount of protesters are unreal they say it will make our houses unsafe with the earthquakes ect am unsure about it to be fair in long run it be good or the country but not on my house ha

There was a TV program on about it several months ago this British guy went over to the US to find out if all of the bad stuff that people was saying about it and it turned out that most of it was rubbish the gas that was in peoples water for the most part had been there before they started fracking ok the drilling sights are not pretty but then you could say the same about windmills or the things that they put on peoples roofs.

One of the things that made this country great was we had cheap fuel to drive the industrial revolution so we dug up the coal and used it in our foundries to make Iron/steel and then we made stuff but what happens today they get the oil/gas out of the ground then it is sold on to the international market so the wheeler dealers push the price up as high as they can to make as much money as they can.

so that in the end our fuel prices are so high and as we pay our workers the going rate for the job not exploit them and give them peanuts the stuff that we make is to expensive to sell compared to China and India etc it makes no sense to me its our oil/gas and should be used to improve the life of British people not make bankers rich.

Ok so we're a bit short of sun here but we have plenty of wind and I've always been amazed that wind power isn't exploited more. The Govt seem almost opposed to it?

I understand the risks associated with fracking but really think the medium to long term results will benefit us more than harm us.

Wind power does not stand up as a business case without subsidy and a thermal station needs to be kept on just in case. Wind can help but is not the solution.

Ok so we're a bit short of sun here but we have plenty of wind and I've always been amazed that wind power isn't exploited more. The Govt seem almost opposed to it?

I understand the risks associated with fracking but really think the medium to long term results will benefit us more than harm us.

Wind power does not stand up as a business case without subsidy and a thermal station needs to be kept on just in case. Wind can help but is not the solution.

The thing is what ARE the environmentalists in favour of? The don't like burning fossil fuels, they don't like nuclear and they say wind farms are a blot on the landscape.

Well said Vince, the have yet to tell us what we are supposed to do, they just criticise every other solution.

My view is stuff them and get on with it, we have waited far too long.

The gas price will have to stay high to make fracking profitable. Like with a number of old mines here in Sweden that was abandoned long ago but are now reopened again due to the high price of metal.

So to think that it will lower prices to what it was in the good old days might be a bit optimistic in my opinion.

What will then be the cure? Hopefully technological advancement will stay ahead of a environmental collaps. Supraconducting cables that work at a reasonable temperatures, transmutation chemistry might solve the nuclear waste problem, that crafty greek guy might actually be onto something etc.

The alternative would be that the western world will be forced to cut way back on energy consumption and I personally don't think that will come easy.

/M

Nuclear is the only way forward, my only issue is the waste aspect.

I propose that the isle of man becomes the uk's holding facility. i would say the IOW but what with the prevailing winds it's less than favourite for me in kent.

I suppose the falklands could step up and lay a few acres aside for our clicking caskets. When its reached capacity we can give it back to the gauchos.

Remember the lies we were fed about how cheap diesel cars would be to run . The people telling us how good it will be Will all be on the make or fantacists

Absolutely correct ..... No matter how much gas is found in this country YOU will not get it any cheaper. I myself have been involved in bringing pipes ashore at St Fergus Cruden Bay....Easington ....Bacton .... Point of ayre ...Walney Island and other Pipe Pulls around this country and abroard. They keep telling us we are running out of this vital fuel. Why then did my company and The French company ... ETPM using their pipe laying barge 1601 lay a pipe line from Brighouse Bay Scotland to a point just north of Dublin to supply the republic with gas? ...Running out of gas ..... I don't think so.

Gas burners run relatively clean compaired to oil/coal. What gets me is these new zero emission cars which are electric. Where does the electricity come from? Burning oil.... Or coal.... Or other fuel.... Potentially more damaging than a diesel..m

Or it could come from nuclear or wind or other renewables. We will all be going electric eventually.

When I go to Arizona I fly for the last hour at least over thousands of square miles of totally empty desert where the temperature most of the year is 100+. rather than putting a few solar panels on house roofs over here couldn't they transform all that desert into one big massive solar powerstation? I reckon they could power the world

Austrailia is the same, link up similar underused barren sites around the world in places like Sahara and even Southern Europe and you will have constant power 24/7

What about the promise of hydrogen fuel cells - they appear to be working as hybrids in cars - anyone have the detail?

A red herring. Fuel cell vehicles are electric. The only difference is the battery is furled by hydrogen. 99.9% of the hydrogen sold today us made from hydrocarbons in the form of gas. It is currently the most efficient way to produce it. You can make hydrogen from water, but it uses masses if energy.

The vested interests want to push hydrogen so they can sell it to us. They have a lot of infrastructure for delivering and selling fuel which may become white elephants if very one filled up at home from an electrical socket.

Hydrogen is dangerous stuff. Way more so than petrol.

After giving it a lot of thought I think that it would be better not to do it in this country for the simple reason that in the US they brought the price of gas down that is not going to happen in our country these companies will make loads of money and we will have to put up with these eyesores of drilling and processing plants all over the place.

Making electricity in the barren wasteland is too expensive due to distribution losses. Thats what gas and oil has going for it, you don't loose any energy during transport

The gas prices in the US has gone way down but this is compared to all time high. 20% of that is still not very cheap and i also doubt that there is any other government that prioritises keeping the fuel prices low as the US anywhere in europe.

/M