.17 hornet - CZ

Kes

Over here we go from corvid/rabbit to fox in size with nothing in between if one ignores the odd exception to the rule. If you can shoot a rabbit at 100 yards with a 22 LR then one certainly has the ability to handle the more loopy 17 Hornet's older brother at the distance at which it is capable of dropping a fox which is far greater than that of the younger sibling. For fox then, the 22 version would appear to be the calibre of choice (al4x, we're talking Hornet here :whistling: ).

For the elite who can handle a 6" bullet drop and a 14" 10mph cross wind, then the 17 Hornet must be the choice for extra long range (300 yard) rabbit/corvid and shorter range fox. For the majority of we lesser mortals though, it may just pay to miss a step as it were and go straight to the WSM on the grounds that considering the quarry size this will still outshoot the ability of most sportsmen.. This assumes that it will appear on our shores in the none too distant future.

That is purely what the figures tell us, so open for debate.

I have the pleasure of being out with a good friend that runs a CZ 17hh. ok its a better barrle than the CZ will have when its over here but its still a CZ for all intent and purpose.

it shoots very very well. very accurate with factory but will no doubt it will be fed home loads with heavier v-max in the near future.

i believe he was going to sell it as he was having another cabinet gun shuffle,

I have had the slot on my #fac for a while now but i think i might put in for a change as i want a range gun.

Im not really a customer and will more than likely get an early one reserved for media usage so they may be a little more encouraging. Given my situation im fairly indifferent anyway but liked the calibre if not particulalry fond of the gun. I did a few articles on the calibre/gun which have all been published so i may post them on here if anyone wants to read them. I took ot to the PW Catton shoot early june and it proved its abilities to several forum members, certainly for rabbits and corvids. I have since shot custom 17hornets built onto controlled feed actions and was disapointed to find mag feed no smoother though and my initial opinion of the case rim causing an insurmountable problem will unlikely fade but my opinion is still optimistic and look forward to seeing the 527 which might just be ergonomically the perfect package for the calibres usage.

I have doughts this will take off.

It's nothing the 22 isn't.

• 3 weeks later...

Having shot many rounds from both the .22 and .17 I can assure you it's very different. The .22 has the edge for foxes but for long range bunnies you'll be hard pressed to beat the performance and economy of the .17. It's just a crazy rifle - like shooting bunnies with a .223 but without the recoil and general feeling of being over gunned.