Any Sparkys Can Offer Advice?

Spiderdude

After a bit of advice from an electrician as a bit stuck!

I have an outside security light that is wired straight from the main fuse box, no switch in between.

I'm wanting to install a 2 gang switch, 1st switch to over ride this light and then the 2nd to control some other lights outside.

I thought and I might be still right the is straightforward.

Do I run the main power cable straight into the 2 gang switch? Then from there run a cable from the switch to the lights?

I've searched net for a diagram, but can't find a relevant one as most seem to be from the USA.

Any help would be appreciated before I crack on!

wired straight to fuse box ??? ring an electrician.....................exterior work is part-p IIRC "special location" worth having it done properly and how do you want the switching to work?

Edited by HDAV

Had to laugh a bit at this thread, some very daft comments.

If it's a professionaly installed light it will be 'fused' to suit a lighting load. Adding a few more lights wouldn't affect this. In your house it doesn't matter whether it's a 5 lamp circuit or 10 lamp circuit, it's still going to gave a 6/5 amp breaker/fuse.

As it's an extension then it's quite possible that it was separately wired and 'fused' at the consumer unit, and to be honest it's not a tricky job if you have the knowledge to do it...but if you don't, then at least seek professional advice and if in any doubt, pay for a professional.

Edited by -Mongrel-

Get a sparks in, you wouldn't play with gas piping knowing that pipes are made of copper and are cylindrical, why risk electric shock to you someone else or fire because you've got away with a bit in the past?

Im a electrical tech and although many people moan about part p legislation it was brought in for a reason. And before anyone says do x y z, how do you know what's actually their? Cct layout etc.