Snaring

lurcherboy

Yesterday I laid out 32 snares that were placed in well established runs from a poorly maintained rabbit fence. They are in a award winning orchard and I have been keeping regular observations on the spot for the last year before I got permission.

It was just before the sunset and the snares were laid with clean hands and had been conditioned for many weeks beforehand to the elements. I had a kip in the cab of my motor for an hour or so and then went to check them before the moon came up over the hill and gave me away with shadow. There had been no action in the snares so I went home via the local to make sure the beer was still in good condition :) Someone has to do it and then spent some time with the dogs in the woods

Next day I went back at about 06:00 ish and waited for the light, and waited, and waited :) . The sky started grey/black and it stayed like that for the next few hours. It was ******* down so I put the waterproofs and wellies on and went to check the snares. All but 5 were 'disturbed' and some had walked across the field courtesey of mr brock :no: :( ;):lol:

When I had calmed down, it was now about 09:00, I got all the gear back into the landie and set off for home or so I thought. Just to add insult to injury, I got stuck up to the chassis in mud and had to call the farmer who pulled me out with his Case 4x4 tractor :)

I was wet down to the cacks and well peeved :lol: But I will go back Friday night with a set of offroad boots.

I told the rottie all about the days preceedings when she got home tonight and she sat down to listen to my tale. She nodded and said 'oh' and laughed, then she said 'why did you bother to put out snares if you wern't going to catch any rabbits' :angry:

Check out news at ten tomorrow night for a SGC holder in Kent shooting his wife :)

God bless her as she needs it.

LB

if your saying 5 of your snares where knocked try setting them higher theres still a fair bit of cover and rabbits dont like getting there bellies wet .watch a rabbit run in on the lamp to see how high the go . :angry:

No bob, five weren't knocked, the rest were.

Mr brock is well and in very rude health unfortunetly.

LB

Next day I went back at about 06:00 ish and waited for the light, and waited, and waited :) . The sky started grey/black and it stayed like that for the next few hours. It was ******* down so I put the waterproofs and wellies on and went to check the snares. All but 5 were 'disturbed' and some had walked across the field courtesey of mr brock :angry::no: :( ;)

When I had calmed down, it was now about 09:00, I got all the gear back into the landie and set off for home or so I thought. Just to add insult to injury, I got stuck up to the chassis in mud and had to call the farmer who pulled me out with his Case 4x4 tractor :lol:

I was wet down to the cacks and well peeved :lol: But I will go back Friday night with a set of offroad boots.

LB

LB maybe the bunnies round your way are too smart to be out in such weather! :)

Next day I went back at about 06:00 ish and waited for the light, and waited, and waited :) . The sky started grey/black and it stayed like that for the next few hours. It was ******* down so I put the waterproofs and wellies on and went to check the snares. All but 5 were 'disturbed' and some had walked across the field courtesey of mr brock :angry::no: :( ;)

When I had calmed down, it was now about 09:00, I got all the gear back into the landie and set off for home or so I thought. Just to add insult to injury, I got stuck up to the chassis in mud and had to call the farmer who pulled me out with his Case 4x4 tractor :lol:

LB

LB maybe the bunnies round your way are too smart to be out in such weather! :)

The can run but they can't hide Highlander :):):)

LB

I gave up trying to explain to my Wife what I had been up to, many , many years ago.

Sometimes, when I did set out the detail as to why I was soaking wet, covered in mud and frozen and saw the look in her eyes, I found myself wondering whether I was indeed as mad as she obviously thought I was. :angry:

Hard luck buddy, it'll get better with practice. As for getting the landy stuck, it must be bloody muddy where you go unless you've bought it those crappy road type tyres? BFG muds are a good buy. My other half stays out of the field sports thing, she likes rabbits :)

It was mate and I buried it in 2 minutes :(

LB