Any shotmakers need linotype?

Thanks, I will ask at our rifle club.

Just happens were having a mega lead casting/bullet making session using range lead next week.

Some results from a previous session..

post-17066-0-84412700-1375055031_thumb.jpg.45/70, 38, .303, .308.....600 in total :good:post-17066-0-85319100-1375055111_thumb.jpg

Edited by moor man

Sits,

I've been after some Linotype for a little while now and will take 30kg if not more depending upon what's left.

Is this true 84/12/4?

Can you let me know how to progress.

Many thanks,

Simon

Actually what I got was not linotype it was foundry type which is much harder, could be up to 28% antimony and 18% tin. Its good stuff.

Exactly what kind of type scrap you get will depend on what is available. I haven't worried too much, always just mixed it 1-3 and produced great shot that did the business (as per yesterdays 60 bird day with my 20gauge and 28grams of homemade no6 :D ) If you use it for bullets I know nothing about that so can't comment.

1-3 is way too hard for shot. Half that would still be too hard. There is no advantage in shot being that hard, its only to prevent deformation. Cast bullets have to be hard to grip the rifling, that's different, I have mixed it 1-4 for incredibly hard cast bullet and that is still probably more than it needs.. I would mix it 1-10 for shot.

Vince,

I'm after it for bullets... so will bring it down to something like 93/5/2 or even less through the use of scrap lead and bar solder (tin)...

I'd love to make shot... but a shot maker eludes me (so Siarm it will have to be for 12Kg at about £36 a pop).

Now a UK equivalent of Roto Metals in the US would probably go down pretty well - I did a load of ringing around at the start of the year in an attempt to find a lead antimony mix for watering down. Over the pond, a 70/30 ingot is as cheap as chips... whilst over here, the best that I could find was 94/6.

Unless any other members can inform otherwise?

Simon

Edited by BooBooEH

People are free to have their own hopes and opinions but from the pretty huge amount I and other shotmakers have collectively used it has been found that 1-3 makes for optimium use with the average scrap linotype and works everytime.

I used to do comparative hardness tests with factory shot and this is what worked best. It isn't just about hardness either, if you mix it too lean it just doesn't make the shot so well.

I certainly wouldn't want anyone to buy it and then find it isn't up to some unreasonable expectations.

• 8 months later...