The house I bought in 1997, turned into a nightmare, we'd been in a month and I went for a shower, it was electric, but it didn't fire up, luckily, the old owner lived 100 yards away, so nipped round to see him, he told me there is a reset button on the side of the fire in the front room, that made the back boiler and shower kick in. I walked away, shaking my head. Back home, I pressed the little button (above a barely visible redlight) and the back boiler kicked in, so I nipped up stairs to try the shower and it had, indeed done the trick. As soon as I could the following day, I called my solicitor and informed him of the problem, he then got onto the estate agent, then the company who had done the survey, this turned out to be a long and drawn out affair which resulted in us getting a good compensation package and the majority of the work reguired to make the house "fit to be used as a residence" at no cost to us.
A week later, before any of the remedial repair work had commenced, the same happened, so I called a mate, who was a plumber, he was working in the next street and came round an hour later, I told him of the issues and he got a start, within seconds, he got an electric shock, he checked and the fire/back boiler had been installed incorrectly, he called his mate, the electrician who had been working on the same house with him earlier, he turned up, got out his stepladder to look in the fusebox and he instantly said, "I'm not touching that". Before I could ask why, he was on the phone to the electricity board, requesting someone came to my property immediately. The electrician told me the fusebox was illegal, had been for years and was very unsafe. The electricity board duly arrived and there was much tutting, shaking of heads and gasps of disbelief, many photographs were taken and I was presented with a 30 amp fuse, why I asked why, the electrician announced, "that is the wrong sized fuse, it should be 5 amp, it's a wonder you haven't burned to death"! we were sat down and informed of the other issues and what was required, given that it was now 5.30, not a lot could be done and the fusebox was made as safe as possible, but we were restricted what we could use until the work to make it safe had been done and checked. The plumber and electrician promised to be back at 8.30 the following morning.
True to their word, they turned up and began investigating more, at 9am, I contacted my solicitor, told him what had happened and that I had the two lads working at the house and what they'd told me, he asked me to provide a written statement of events and if the plumber and electrician would give written reports to corroborate their findings and work required.
My name was like dogsh*t in the village where I live, but I didn't care, I was let down buy the seller, estate agent and surveyor, they in turn, paid the price for their negligence, which lasted for several months while the house was inspected from top to bottom. I still have copies of the photographs somewhere.
I still have restless nights because of it.