HOWDY from The Alamo City of Texas

satx78247

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

welcome Satx from the sunny Wirral peninsular, north west England,, much easier on here than having to DX on 10mtrs sideband ham radio lol

good luck with your punt investigation

all the best Evo(Bob)

evo,

THANKS for the welcome!

NOTE: IF you "do" Field Day, listen for us on 144.415 SSB on the 2M band = I/We keep hoping to "jump the pond" on 2M SSB and/or slow-speed CW from Oak Island, NC, where my "adopted family" owns a summer house on the Atlantic beach. - Last year I "heard" a UK station but he could not, evidently, hear me. = !@#$%.

(Fwiw, I made an average of 42 contacts on each of the last 5 Field Days, on 222MHZ simplex.)

NOTE: Our team will be "pushing out" a kilowatt into a LONG 2M beam at 60+ feet, off the top of a tall sand dune, alternating between CW/SSB each 15 minutes, throughout FD. Callsign: KF4WOA

73 de K3CSA

Edited by satx78247

Oops The Ghost has got a big foot, me thinks. :lol:

I don't think Ghosts actually have feet, take Casper the friendly ghost for example, his lower body just goes into a swirly pointy bit, no feet visible at all, let alone shoes, people need to get their facts right, posts like this are irresponsible not to mention misleading :mad:

I don't think Ghosts actually have feet, take Casper the friendly ghost for example, his lower body just goes into a swirly pointy bit, no feet visible at all, let alone shoes, people need to get their facts right, posts like this are irresponsible not to mention misleading :mad:

It's all fun and games until you realise Casper the ghost is actually a dead child....as you say NM 'posts like this are irresponsible not to mention misleading' I am amazed the kind of things that make people CHUCKLE :whistling::innocent:

At least Davey Crockett is still alive and working in Texas.....I mean living in Texas :yes:

The Ghost; Northern Monkey; All,

Davey Crockett is reportedly sharing a flat with Elvis Presley & Jim Morrison in Earl's Court, surrounded by refugees from AUS & some Kiwis.

(LTC William Barratt Travis is reportedly a frequent visitor to that address.)

yours, satx

Hiya and welcome to the mad house Satx.

:yahoo::welcomeani::yahoo:

Nice to find someone from over the pond. Just wish our gun laws were like yours over there.

As has been mentioned, there is a very good series of posts about making a punt on here. Beautiful bit of workmanship. If you go on the BASC website, they have a famous punt gun hanging up in their HQ. It looks more like a howitzer though and makes the one they made on "Sons of Guns" look like a pea-shooter.

Uncle Albert,

THANKS for the welcome.

I have SEEN a punt-gun from southern Maryland, USA that has a 6 inch bore with a barrel that is about 9-10 feet long. - I've wondered WHY it never destroyed the gunning skiff that carried it, as it was evidently/routinely loaded with a pound of FFG powder and 3-4 POUNDS of nails, scrap metal and rocks, during the 1930s when "most folks around these parts HAD to hunt to feed their family".

(I interviewed an Easton, MD waterman in 1983 [Chester Martin is now deceased.], whose gunning skiff had the stern "ripped plumb out & my boat sunk" by the recoil of another similarly large punt-gun.)

NOTE: Too bad that "the powers that be" outlawed punt-guns in the USA.

yours, satx

evo,

THANKS for the welcome!

NOTE: IF you "do" Field Day, listen for us on 144.415 SSB on the 2M band = I/We keep hoping to "jump the pond" on 2M SSB and/or slow-speed CW from Oak Island, NC, where my "adopted family" owns a summer house on the Atlantic beach. - Last year I "heard" a UK station but he could not, evidently, hear me. = !@#$%.

(Fwiw, I made an average of 42 contacts on each of the last 5 Field Days, on 222MHZ simplex.)

NOTE: Our team will be "pushing out" a kilowatt into a LONG 2M beam at 60+ feet, off the top of a tall sand dune, alternating between CW/SSB each 15 minutes, throughout FD. Callsign: KF4WOA

73 de K3CSA

evo,

THANKS for the welcome!

73 de K3CSA

welcome..........we use telephones over here !!

sorry i will get my coat.........

smokinggun; mossy835,

THANKS for the welcome.

To smokinggun: I mostly hunt with a CROSSBOW these days. = Once I get retired overseas, I'll get the punt & gun built & then the geese/ducks had better BEWARE.

yours, satx

ditchman,

As we say "on our side of the pond", "There's one in every group."
LOL.

yours, satx

I've watched a few crossbow hunting videos on youtube for turkeys etc, i imagine it takes a lot of skill, how close do you have to get to your target to take a shot? it does look like a lot of fun and obviously a popular sport in America maybe one day i'll get to experience it myself but unfortunately we are not allowed to hunt with bows in the uk so it wont happen here,

Good luck with building the punt gun i will look forward to hearing about it :good: