Snap Caps - Do you use them & if so, why??

Oly

I thought that ejectors are recoil operated, therefore snap caps wouldn't "set" the ejector springs (i.e. like how you can "set" them by bumping the butt of an unloaded shotgun on the floor) - hence all you would have to do to unload all the springs in a shotgun would be simply to fire snap caps once - job done?

Ejectors are 'powered' by springs, but set by the recoil of the gun - if that makes sense? :blink:

stuart it is not only the recoil of the gun it is also fireing the pin on that barrel, look what happens if you fire just one barrel and then break the gun, only the used cart` is ejected

I dont use snap caps. When I did, the firing pins in my o/u had to be replaced several times. Now I dont bother.

The bloke in the gun shop said use them if you want to but there is no real point. To dry fire your gun once before storage will not damage anything. Only excessive dry firing can potentially cause damage.

I store my guns 'fired' and dont have any problems with this.

Its a bit like the arguement about leaving spring powered air guns cocked for to long.

Leeboy

Leeboy

It is not snap caps that make pins break it is firing the gun without any resistance. The pin hit its stop shoulder (belt) and the nose tries to continue its movement and will fracture at the belt/shoulder in due course. Pins are hardened up to the belt for wear resistance to the hammer strikes and the shear point will always be in the area where hardened and unhardened metal joins.

Caps have a spring underneath the artificial primer and create a resistance to protect the pin. You will not break pins by using cap.

i was told that they were used originaly in the older guns that had the leaf springs that would over a period of time weaken being under strain. but since the use of superior steel coil springs and different firing mechanism's they are not needed as they used to be, but there again i dont know much any way :unsure:

i do have some and use them if im swinging in the house :thanks:

i was told that they were used originaly in the older guns that had the leaf springs that would over a period of time weaken being under strain. but since the use of superior steel coil springs and different firing mechanism's they are not needed as they used to be, but there again i dont know much any way :good:

i do have some and use them if im swinging in the house :good:

Swinging in the house eh?!?! :good:

I thought that ejectors are recoil operated, therefore snap caps wouldn't "set" the ejector springs (i.e. like how you can "set" them by bumping the butt of an unloaded shotgun on the floor) - hence all you would have to do to unload all the springs in a shotgun would be simply to fire snap caps once - job done?

Ejectors are 'powered' by springs, but set by the recoil of the gun - if that makes sense? :good:

Exactly - so the ejector springs won't be "set" by snap caps - hence all the springs (ejectors and firing) should be released from tension when using snap caps. Shouldn't they?!?!

Buy some and get it out of your system. They are useful if you want to test the firing mechanism and ejectors as part of cleaning / maintenance. Alternatively, when I am drunk and standing in front of the mirror in only my pants doing the whole DeNiro "you looking at me thing" they come in quite useful.

Not sure what you're going on about there mate, but please don't tell me your messing about with firearms (unloaded or not) when drunk?!?!

Holy **** you *are* that dumb.

Excellent, fresh sport.

Leeboy

It is not snap caps that make pins break it is firing the gun without any resistance. The pin hit its stop shoulder (belt) and the nose tries to continue its movement and will fracture at the belt/shoulder in due course. Pins are hardened up to the belt for wear resistance to the hammer strikes and the shear point will always be in the area where hardened and unhardened metal joins.

Caps have a spring underneath the artificial primer and create a resistance to protect the pin. You will not break pins by using cap.

When I used them in my Beretta I had to replace the firing pins 3 times as the ends started to crumble. I tried a coupla different snap caps but the problem only stopped when I stopped using them.

I've been told by 2 gunsmiths now that caps are a waste of time and that to do any damage you would need to dry fire the gun many many times and just dry firing to release the springs before storage will not harm anything.

Leeboy

Snap caps were designed for shotguns without rebounding firing pins. This allowed the locks to be released and the pressure to be taken off the (leaf) mainspring without damaging the pin (which would be sticking out) when the empty barrel was opened. If you own a modern shotgun with rebounding firing pins (to check this fire off the action and see if the pins stick out) you don't need snap caps. No damage should occur to firing pins by dry firing unless the dry firing is excessive.