Police have new petty things to fine us for

Chr15j

If they were watching what people are doing on the roads and not measuring someones speed randomly for 20ft or whatever it is they would be giving less bad news to people wouldn't they? they dont get their comeuppance until they kill someone.

Sorry but I don't understand one single iota of your logic.

Speeders do eventually get caught, and usually by speeding cameras or 'driving without due care and attention etc'. I did, and I learned my lesson as a result - a camera and £350 fine.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You missed the best one: On The Phone £100.

Why not - only an absolute dipstick would use a mobile whilst driving. There are lots of statistics and examples of pillocks using a mobile phone and causing a smash.

A trainee salesgirl where I worked used a mobile to text a couple of years ago, and ended up hitting another car head on, and a young girl was killed. She got the sack, but this didn't bring the girl back. She tried to deny it, but the cops got her mobile and proved that she had sent 3 texts in 10 minutes.

Why not - only an absolute dipstick would use a mobile whilst driving. There are lots of statistics and examples of pillocks using a mobile phone and causing a smash.

A trainee salesgirl where I worked used a mobile to text a couple of years ago, and ended up hitting another car head on, and a young girl was killed. She got the sack, but this didn't bring the girl back. She tried to deny it, but the cops got her mobile and proved that she had sent 3 texts in 10 minutes.

I quite agree with what you are saying, it should be a Hell of a lot more, I really get my dander up when seeing these people on the phone..

But have seen one women turning a corner while doing her hair in the mirror, she had both knees touching the steering wheel, Do the police not see all this going on, I see loads of stupid people, putting lipstick on is another, perhaps the cars should come with a Powder Room inside:

• 3 weeks later...

How ever, it should become the law that you can knock cyclists off their bikes if they insist on not using the cycle lane provide by my road tax and think just because they own a road bike, that means they then have the right to ride in the middle of the road

They don't have to use the cycle lane, and it's often not safe to do so. You don't pay 'road tax', therefore you don't have any more rights to the road than the cyclist. They have as much right as you to ride in the middle of the road should they need to.

Don't get me wrong, there are idiots on bikes out there, but there are many more ignornat drivers who think like this and are a danger to cyclists and other road users.

I completely agree with the list.

Most of the actions on there are what can cause road rage, which can be very dangerous. I hold my hands up ,I've been guilty of road rage. But not without provocation.

Then comes the policing of these new police powers.

We all know it's illegal to use a mobile phone whilst driving. You go on any drive somewhere and I guarantee you'll see someone with the phone stuck to their ear. Or a female looking down because she's texting. So it hasn't really deterred a lot of people has it.

On the way home yesterday i saw someone fail to give way at a junction and then once they'd passed the junction move over to the overtaking lane where they dawdled at around 50mph for several miles, i was behind them and a police car was behind me, the police did nothing. Must've been close to knocking off time or something :rolleyes:

On the way home yesterday i saw someone fail to give way at a junction and then once they'd passed the junction move over to the overtaking lane where they dawdled at around 50mph for several miles, i was behind them and a police car was behind me, the police did nothing. Must've been close to knocking off time or something :rolleyes:

Was this on a motorway or dual carriageway?

No, the reason I ask is the Highway code states that the person joining ( on a slip road) should give way to the traffic already on the road and then get up to speed as soon as possible. Agree with dawdling in lane 2.

Not sure if it applies just to motorways or dual carriageways was well.

We all know it's illegal to use a mobile phone whilst driving. You go on any drive somewhere and I guarantee you'll see someone with the phone stuck to their ear. Or a female looking down because she's texting. So it hasn't really deterred a lot of people has it.

Thats the whole point of increasing the penalty, just the same for seatbelts and phones.

there are three parts to collision reduction... Engineering (speed bumps, junction layout etc) Education (adverts, drink drive campaign etc) and then enforcement....

everyone has seen adverts re clunk click every trip etc etc and ones for phones, but these are still two of the most common offences so became fixed penalty , still common, increase fine, add points for phones when that didn't work, still no ones learning

all of the enforcement costs money, hence the Police now can claim a percentage back to cover the cost

Mostly the workload on the area cop is such that they want to look the other way or set their threshold higher and just give a warning. The traffic officers have been cut in numbers in most forces and therefore are more tied up with collision investigation. They would want to reduce it, it isn't pleasant being at the scene of a fatal or having to tell the families, thankfully I no longer have to.

As someone else said... how would you change peoples attitude and reduce the crash rate???

Edited by nic