.17 HMR in my sights

Chr15j

Ok so my variation is in, Cambs say I need to wait another 2 weeks for my ticket to land and I've earmarked funds!

I have found a nice used 452 which may or may not still be available so, if not thought I would see about a backup plan!

I currently own a .22 452 16" varmint so know the 452 is a goodun, but interested in other offerings

Annie 14" is a dream

Weichrauch look interesting but I know little of them

Ruger is a nono for me

Sako finfire is lovely but no longer made (and **** not .17)

Budget wise I'm looking at 285, but I can throw in a beretta 92fs in great cond with box etc to get something more if need be (I.e. Annie 14")

So gents, any recommendations / offers

It's a bit like this.

A CZ (I own one in .22) is a bit like a ford focus, a Anni or a HW (I own one in .17) is more like a Merc or Porsche, both do the same job, but nice to own.

CZ's were a bargain until about 2/3 years ago, they are now a lot more expensive than they were and not as much of a bargain.

Your now paying medium prices for an agricultural type gun.

On full mag can you see your grouping with the 10/22? Sorry couldn't resist!

It's a bit like this.

A CZ (I own one in .22) is a bit like a ford focus, a Anni or a HW (I own one in .17) is more like a Merc or Porsche, both do the same job, but nice to own.

CZ's were a bargain until about 2/3 years ago, they are now a lot more expensive than they were and not as much of a bargain.

Your now paying medium prices for an agricultural type gun.

I remember my 452 was a bargain back in 2006 I could sell now and break even!

your dream is an annie and i can't fault the rifle having had a few.i soon realised the ammo was the limiting factor with rimfire and that an annie is no more accurat than a cz for that reason.the annie trigger is better but the kits for the cz are very good and cheap.

in short the cz is just as good in my opinion and a bargain second hand..

I've got a 452 varmint 16" in.17 hmr. Binned the stock within a week and got a Boyds Blaster thumbhole, trigger kit and It made the world of difference. Fits me well and helps the old grouping no end. Shot a lot of bunnies with it in the 3 years I've had it. Wouldn't part with it ever ( unless offered VERY silly money)

I've got a 452 varmint 16" in.17 hmr. Binned the stock within a week and got a Boyds Blaster thumbhole, trigger kit and It made the world of difference. Fits me well and helps the old grouping no end. Shot a lot of bunnies with it in the 3 years I've had it. Wouldn't part with it ever ( unless offered VERY silly money)

So... A new 455 thumb hole varmint or a used 452 with a boyds?

Weihrauch certainly worth a look. More than happy with mine. You really need to get around the dealers and handle a few makes and try them for size because that's what its going to come down to. The HW60J is a finely engineered rifle with excellent finish quality. The Barvarian stock has a schnabel tip which is not ideal for bipods and I've needed to add a butt spacer to mine to lengthen the pull. I really noticed that it was a bit short during this hot summer when shooting in only a light shirt without the packing of a jacket. The HW66 is a beaut with a handsome semi target stock - better for prone shooting and ideal for a bipod - if you can find one.

My HW is 14" which is great for shooting from vehicles but if I had my time again I'd buy a longer barrel purely because I shoot a lot off sticks and a longer barrel gives better balance and more stability.

I agree with markm. Nothing wrong with CZs, but they are not as cheap as they were and not quite the bargains that once made them a gimme. Other makes are offering serious competition.

It's not the comb that's the problem mate its the telescope on high mounts! It's just my opinion but I really don't think 56mm objectives are needed on a rimfire even for lamping. I use 40/42mm scopes on low or medium if front ao and never had issues it might be worth trying one of your other scopes on lower mounts on your current 452 to see how you find them.

Atb Gary

That's fair enough mate, what about using a beartooth Comb raising kit or one of them stick on ones you can get for shotguns?[/quotebeartooth, wassat?

It's basically a neoprene stock sock that you put hard foam inserts in to raise your comb. You do the same thing with one of them neoprene bullet holders and some polystyrene or rubber mat cut to shape.

http://item.mobileweb.ebay.co.uk/viewitem?sbk=1&nav=SEARCH&itemId=390630800278

Atb Gary