Lee safety scales

bicykillgaz

Hi gents,

I'm just getting into re-loading for my .22hornet but with twins on the way cost is a massive issue, I've been looking at the lee kits which seem decent value but I've been warned off the scales that come with them. Are they really as bad as I've been told or does anyone have good results with them? I could really do without having to find another £100 if I don't need to.

I've currently got my mate kit on loan and he uses rcbs scales which are easy to use and accurate but are they nessasary? Just seems a waste to discard the ones that come with the kit.

Thanks in advance

Gary

i have just started reloading and im sure people will disagree but i have not touched the lee scales i use a cheap digital set they do fine .. if you want my scales there new and just sitting there il do them half price ....

Thank you for the offer mate but they would already be coming with the kit, what digitals are you using and what do you put your powder in to sit on them?

I would say with a hornet you are probably ok with them as anything dangerous wouldn't fit in the case and as you will be close to a case full a visual check should confirm all is similar

I'm not too worried about overloading it as I've no intentions of running it too hot, its more the accuracy/consistency I'm concerned about as I've been told they are not that accurate.

simple answer is try it and go from there, then if you don't get on with them flog them and put the money towards some better ones. I'd suggest you will be fine and the level of accuracy no real problem with a hornet.

Cheers mate, i think I'll take the plunge and try them.

the lee scales are accurate enough but as posted they take a while to settle.if given the choice of cheap digital or lee balance i would go lee every time.its a great kit to get you going i used one for a 204 for over a year and it was deadly accurate.most of my upgrades have been as much about making life quicker and esier as about accuracy chasing.

in time you will probably choose to upgrade bit by bit starting with the case length trimmer.

atb mike

I use a Lee scale for my reloading and as said I would take them over a cheap Chinese digital thing any day (that's not to say digital doesn't work for others!) They are a little slow to settle but produce accurate and consistent loads and IMO can not be beaten for the price.

I way everything from 3.1gr Titegroup to 26gr of H4895 and find them easy to use. Yes the zero set up could be easier but if you use it on the same surface then it is a bit of cake. Load setup is also easy if a little more fiddly than the RCBS stuff.

Edited by Livefast123

I am using lynman 501 scales at the moment until I can afford to upgrade to some rcbs ones.

The lee ones I had we're ok and once set up could be quite consistent if a little of a fiddle. As a start out part of kit you could do worse some of the digi scales are really carp.

Set them on a marble cutting block or piece of thick glass. This will help keep things stable.

Don't worry Robert I am sure we will square up one day :)

Karl.