Muddy Funker

Hi Guys,

don't ask my why but the more I'm looking into this the more I'd like to give it a try.

Swmbo will hopefully be qualifying as a Chiropractor next year so this marks the end of being skint for 5 years :good:

As this will be freeing up a little cash I was looking at taking on a new hobby, I don't really do much other than shooting, a little fishing, camping ect.

It must be a real buzz being able to fly around with a couple of mates, maybe even the Mrs would enjoy it.

Looks like there's a few places in Sussex, Fly Sussex being the one that's caught my eye.

It's gonna be a couple of years before I can start but I always throw myself into things and start absorbing info hence the reason for this thread.

Anyone here do it? Is it amazing? Pitfalls? Hints and tips? Which forum to start learning some theory?

Basically I just need to be pointed in the right direction (up a hill maybe?)

Thanks for your time :)

Hi Muddy Funker,

I'm a club pilot (BHPA). Happy to give you more info and idea on what it is like - PM me.

In the meantime, have a look at the BHPA website first and you'll find some clubs/schools close to you. There aren't many (safe) clubs that will let you fly without being a member, having insurance and a qualification. There is a hell of a lot to learn and it is potentially a life-ending sport.... conversely, do everything right, get the training...and it's a truly life liberating sport!

I am assuming you are meaning paragliding, and not paramotoring (where you have an engine strapped to your back)?!?

I will reiterate again, proper training is a must. I tried doing the paramotoring outside of the national body - I nearly died and have never tried it again. I now stick to the purer side of paragliding, with a wing, harness and thermals!

My last major trip was to the the alps... A. MAZING.

huff-huff-a-r-oo

Edited by huffhuff

Few years back I was an instructor with green dragons, tandem pilot, advanced pilot, senior coach, and chief coach of north wales. So iv been there done that lol

It is a great sport, very weather dependent, and small busy hills round your way. However it is dangerous. Iv lost friends, have friends in wheel chairs, lost count of the pilots iv medivacd off the mountain in helicopter. I don't fly the paraglider anymore due to having 2 young kids and I can't afford to injure myself.

It is an extreme sport. I flew 12 years without serious injury but others were not so lucky, some self induced being silly etc, but others inexperience or unlucky.

So have a think if you accept the risk / poss consequences then there is nothing better than sitting at cloud base drifting over the countryside on an xc or doing aerobatics over the water showing off to the students when its to strong lol.

I know most instructors down your way personally, so if you decide to give it a go pm me.

Hi,
Im not quite as qualified as parapilot, but im Pilot rated, Tandem and paramotor with a few hundred hours now.
Its a great sport, dont be put off too much by the accident stories, for the majority it is very safe but like any airsport it can bite the unwary.
As your just deciding where to start try and think where you want to go with the sport, is it just a couple of hours soaring on a local hill, the challenge of a long cross country flight to somwhere, or if you want convenient reliable cross countrys, local takeoff sites and slightly bigger weather window (you can do it it nil wind) then maybe consider paramotoring. Since I started pramotoring ive almost doubled my average annual airtime simply by being able to grab a quick hour after work.

HTH Tom.

Guys,

Thanks for the replies.

So I've got quite a lot to think about, truth be told I actually thought it was relatively safe.

I think what I'd like to aspire to do is just spend a few hours soaring in the air to possibly some cross country stuff, no crazy tricks ect.

Are there any decent forums worth being a part of, just to lurk and read mainly.

Thanks again.

The easiest way to give it a try is to go up tandem with a professional. (They can pilot, you just get to hang around, admire the view and take pictures). Cost you £70 or so (for 15 minutes - 30 minutes maybe depending on launch altitude, thermals / wind, pilot skill etc.), and will let you know if you like it or not.

I did this in the French Alps - good fun, I'd definitely go again. But it's not something I'd want to take up as a hobby, personally.

(I was strapped to a handsome moustachioed French-Swiss man, if that's your thing! :whistling: )