Oat Field Goose Shooting

lou13

Im going shooting tomorrow evening for some Canada Geese and have been watching their flight lines for the past few days, usually i'll set up a standard pigeon hide on a hedge and shoot them coming over, but their flight line isnt very consistent. There is a pond that they're coming off then over a oat field then over a sheep field (which is where i usually set the hide). The closest I can get to the pond is in the oat field so I will shoot them from that. The oats almost about waist height, anyone have any ideas about going about this? e.g. how to hide (perhaps lying down in the tramlines etc). Its a bit confusing but all help much appreciated! thanks, lou13

Im up in North Yorkshire and theres hundreds of them! They're making a mess of the sheep fields and need to be controlled before they get out of hand. Not long to the season now though! :yahoo:

If there making a mess of the sheep field and that's we're you usually shoot why you choosing the oats now? Dropping geese into standing crops can't be the best idea surely.

Don't mean to sound off, just curious.

Karpman

If there making a mess of the sheep field and that's we're you usually shoot why you choosing the oats now? Dropping geese into standing crops can't be the best idea surely.

Don't mean to sound off, just curious.

Karpman

I thought about shooting them over the oats as by the time they reach the sheep field they could be flighting anywhere in the space of 300ft where as if I get them over the oats theres more chance of me being under them as i can get closer to the pond, if you know what i mean? <_< Think of a slice of pizza (haha :rolleyes: ) The geese flying over the crust is more dispersed than when they fly over the first inch of pizza? Weird way of putting it but hopefully you'll understand :lol:

If they are a pest on the sheep fields, why not snipe them on the sheep field with an appropriate caliber rifle, properly conditioned for birds. I find you only need to shoot a few and the others will take the hint and push off somewhere else, for a while at least. That is how I deal with them on golf courses.

Count yourself lucky you have Candas to shoot! I only ever had one chance last Season... and missed... Our club bag returns on Candas have been going down by about 50% most years for the last few years, now only a handful shot between all the members. I was not aware this was the case in other parts of Norfolk, what could be the reason anser2?? Competition with Greys?

While canadas are now on the pest list despite rapidly declining numbers in my county of Norfolk most proper wildfowlers would not dream of shooting them before the season starts.

From observations whilst fishing on the Lea Valley gravel pits (Essex/Herts border), Canadas out compete and dominate Greys for nesting sites and territories. They are obviously larger and IMO are the more aggressive of the two, so I would suggest that completion with Greys may not be the cause.

As a general question, what would be preferred; a larger population of Greys or Canadas?

I know what I would want.

Count yourself lucky you have Candas to shoot! I only ever had one chance last Season... and missed... Our club bag returns on Candas have been going down by about 50% most years for the last few years, now only a handful shot between all the members. I was not aware this was the case in other parts of Norfolk, what could be the reason anser2?? Competition with Greys?

From observations whilst fishing on the Lea Valley gravel pits (Essex/Herts border), Canadas out compete and dominate Greys for nesting sites and territories. They are obviously larger and IMO are the more aggressive of the two, so I would suggest that completion with Greys may not be the cause.

As a general question, what would be preferred; a larger population of Greys or Canadas?

I know what I would want.

I have found just the opposite, as our greylag numbers increased Canada numbers declined, even before they were shot out of season.

Shooting them on the GL must also have contributed, Canada numbers have decreased massively in this area in the last ten or more years. It cannot help that a lot of the major breeding sites now habitually ***** eggs, both greys and Canada's

Edited by scolopax

I know that in the Lea Valley Park (largest area of locally suitable habitat) that Canadian geese nests are done by the Parks Authority, not sure on the method used though (pricking/oiling).

I would suggest that just the Canada's nest are being done in your area, given their current status.

I have over the last week or so seen large numbers of Canadas on the River Stort flood meadows just outside of my home town of Harlow, 3-400 strong.

I have found just the opposite, as our greylag numbers increased Canada numbers declined, even before they were shot out of season.

Shooting them on the GL must also have contributed, Canada numbers have decreased massively in this area in the last ten or more years. It cannot help that a lot of the major breeding sites now habitually ***** eggs, both greys and Canada's

Edited by Penelope

I am not sure is just an East Anglian thing , but 30 years ago we had a number of strong breeding groups canadas ie Holkham \ Sennowe Park ect . As the greylags first started to spread they tended too nest within canada colonies. Within a decade the canadas disapeared and the goose colonies became pure graylag breeding groups. Canadas are larger and nest several weeks before the greylags so it does not make much sence but , 30 years ago it was usual to see the canadas with broods of 6-8 goslings , today they usually have just a couple. Its possible that the greylag goslings out compete the canadas for food while they are still flightless . Its frequent to see the canadas feeding some way from the water while the greylags feed on grass and almost anything green close to the waters edge. Foxes have greatly increased in Norfolk so its possable that the canada goslings feeding away from the waters edge are vulrable to fox predation while the greylags have only to dash a few yards and they are in the safety of the water. One other factor is that 30 years ago landowners were more tollerent of geese. Today they are more likely to have a goose shoot on the estate. Canadas are daft when it comes to shooting ( how often do you see a canada flying out of range if you are under it ) while greylags can be pretty street wise and learn to fly high where they have been shot before. Finaly the last nail in the coffin for the canada if this stupid idea to put canadas on the Pest list and some ****** are shooting canadas out of season. Putting them on the pest list has little to do with the dammage they do and more to do with the govenments desire to exterminate any non native species. It all adds up to bad news for the future of the canada goose in England.

Its all very sad and much as I favour shooting pinks to be under a skien of a thousand canadas all honking their heads off is pretty impressive and exciting. Anyone who is a true fowler would never consider shooting canadas out of the wildfowling season , there are other more effective ways of scaring canadas off that shooting them in the breeding season if they are causing a problem.

It does make you wonder.

I despair.

Shooting Canada geese, to control their numbers where necessary, under the auspices of the GL is one thing but to shoot them in late August just prior to the season purely for sport is disgraceful.

Where have our ethics gone !

Canadas are daft when it comes to shooting ( how often do you see a canada flying out of range if you are under it )

Im with you anser2...I have not shot a Canada Goose in Ireland for over ten yrs and Im never likely to shoot one again. I simply do not find them a sporting Quarry. They are increasing over here yearly' and like you I enjoy watching them in the Autumn a'ooonking out over the fields' they make a grand sight and Sound. But as a sporting bird' they are quite safe from me. I have on numerous occasions let them fly over without even reaching for the Gun. And i have witnesses to confirm the fact. I have no issues with anyone else shooting them' but i get no pleasure from knocking down a "kamikaze" Goose As we have nicknamed them'.