Sell by dates on food

Pinkella

Ok so do you adhere to the sell by date on food packaging and throw it away if its expired or do you go by the if it looks ok and smells ok rule?

For me it depends on what it is, vegetables I can eat after the expiry date no problem as long as it looks ok and smells ok, fish and meat I wouldn't let it expire in the first place. :)

Do not buy meat from the supermarket (we have a wonderful farm based butchers near us that at the moment has half price on free range pork, that has only seen an antibiotic when it is ill, is only fed stuff they grow on the farm and waste from a vegetable packing station, they also do Limousin beef, grown until it is 27 months old, then hung properly, beautiful steaks, roasts that are so tender.... All at about the same price as a Supermarket - apart from the pork which at the moment is WAY cheaper). Why buy inferior rubbish?

Edited by secretagentmole

Do not buy meat from the supermarket (we have a wonderful farm based butchers near us that at the moment has half price on free range pork, that has only seen an antibiotic when it is ill, is only fed stuff they grow on the farm and waste from a vegetable packing station, they also do Limousin beef, aged to 27 months, hung properly, beautiful steaks.... All at about the same price as a Supermarket - apart from the pork which at the moment is WAY cheaper). Why buy inferior rubbish?

I totally agree, for me its about convenience, however now I live out in the sticks of Cov and I'm surrounded by this wonderful produce in farm shops, I must support them!

Anything past sell buy date, gets a sniff and if smells okay gets fed to the husband. I am too fussy myself to eat most things that have gone past the sell buy date. although I did watch a programme quite a while back that stated most items could be eaten beyond their sell buy dates.

Anything past sell buy date, gets a sniff and if smells okay gets fed to the husband. I am too fussy myself to eat most things that have gone past the sell buy date. although I did watch a programme quite a while back that stated most items could be eaten beyond their sell buy dates.

LOL @ feeding it to your husband Sian :lol:

That's the reason your hubby ain't dead from food poisoning coz it smells ok :rolleyes: .

No point in wasting good food just because some one dose not like the printed date on the packet . :good:

Depends what it is, I wouldn't risk chicken or seafood.

We are currently using raspberry coulis which ran out in February and it seems fine to me :)

Yep, there is a big difference between use by and best before. Some campaigners want best before scrapping.

Sell by use by, and best before all have different meanings,

Sell by means it has to be sold so shouldn't pose a risk consuming soon after this date

Use by means it could pose a risk after this date

Best before means it should be ok for a bit after this date but has reached the "best" time

Now any guesses which a shop can be fined for?

We are currently using raspberry coulis which ran out in February and it seems fine to me :)

I am always suspicious of sea food what ever the date , I had a some bad fish in Victoria once & it made me bad all night & the next day .

I know some one who had food poisoning from shell fish in Thailand & finished up being taken out of Bangkok international air port on a stretcher with it all coming out at both ends at the same time ! Not Nice ! :sick::sick:

Edited by Pole Star

I am always suspicious of sea food what ever the date , I had a some bad fish in Victoria once & it made me bad all night & the next day .

I know some one who had food poisoning from shell fish in Thailand & finished up being taken out of Bangkok international air port on a stretcher with it all coming out at both ends at the same time ! Not Nice ! :sick::sick:

I will not eat anything that lives in water

The closest I get is crab sticks

Edited by castletyne

Yes I think I would think twice before using out of date chicken or fish even to the husband. :)

I don't know, I read about it or my neighbour told me about it

I heard only good looking people get em ! so that means I am immune :good: .

On the subject of underwater crabs & what they eat it is a little known fact that that they will eat all sorts of things that fall into the sea & that goes for shrimps too ! .

ps sadly every year people are lost at sea

I heard only good looking people get em ! so that means I am immune :good: .

On the subject of underwater crabs & what they eat it is a little known fact that that they will eat all sorts of things that fall into the sea & that goes for shrimps too ! .

ps sadly every year people are lost at sea

Shrimps and prawns YUK nasty crunchy things who do have questionable food sources.