Ceiling Artex. Advice please.

unapalomablanca

Our 60s house had Artex ceilings and bathroom walls.

It never occurred to me to ask for money off the house to remedy the issue as it's not an 'issue' other than I don't like the look of it. I didn't ask for money off because I didn't like the carpets or wallpaper either.

I took the Artex off the bathroom using this stuff. Bit messy but so are any other options. Using a steamer can blow the plaster so be careful with that.

As a plasterer' Ive covered loads of them. Give the ceiling a good paint with diluted unibond and let it dry in. Then coat it it with Bonding. Pure bonding only as a half and half wont do.Then let it harden and coat again with the unibond and give it a double coat of Finish.If it is and upstairs ceiling and the loft is insulated then the heat seems to make it go off Quickly' but let the plasterer worry about that.

I'm doomed so you could hire me, I'm sure over the years I've inhaled enough of the stuff to substantially lower my longevity. Let's see, when I was a kid, the fence, garage roof, coal bunker and compost heap (we used the coal bunker as a den) were all constructed of the stuff. Smashed those up and removed all of them. Then there was all the Artex in my mums house, scraped that off and binned it. Then the Asbestos water tank in the loft that we smashed with hammers and dumped, this all before the dangers of Asbestos became widely known.

Cabon fibre is allegedly the new asbestos.

Anyway, back on track, in the last house we simply scraped to de-nib and plastered over it. Wasn't that messy at all really.

ive artexed for 20 years,site and private,scraped hundreds of old ceilings off and reartexed them over the years,never wore a mask,chest is fine,fit as fiddle. just get them looked at by someone who knows what their doing,sometimes it cheaper and esier to board over them ,sometimes it easier to plaster over them, not a big problem them really when theres asbestos present,unless council involved they will insist on them being removed .

Our 60s house had Artex ceilings and bathroom walls.

It never occurred to me to ask for money off the house to remedy the issue as it's not an 'issue' other than I don't like the look of it. I didn't ask for money off because I didn't like the carpets or wallpaper either.

I took the Artex off the bathroom using this stuff. Bit messy but so are any other options. Using a steamer can blow the plaster so be careful with that.

great answer