Recent knife work

whalefish

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Absolutely beautiful. The kitchen knife would be a fantastic addition to anyone's kitchen, and would actually get used.

Brillaint stuff - Inspired me to order some bits an try my own. if its not too embarrasing I'll post a pic

Thank you, i really appreciate all the kind comments ;)

Advice please with my first knife.

Am trying to clean out the slot for the hidden tang in a single piece of purpleheart wood. is this a good idea or should I break the handle down into segments for ease of drilling/cleaning out ?

Hi, doing a single piece handle can be a bit of a pain but can look real good heres a tutorial on how http://www.britishblades.com/forums/showthread.php?89508-Fitting-a-stick-tang-blade-to-a-one-piece-handle-%28pic-heavy%29 . I use a jigsaw blade fixed to a handle to clear out the hole after i drill which is quite handy although you could do it with a drill and a few needle files. If you want to cut it into pieces you could stack it up with some brass/ bone/ leather... all personal preference but either way can be done relatively easily with hand tools and patience.

Hope it goes well ;)

Another, blade forged from an old file with a wrought iron bolster and walnut handle. Sheath is 3mm wet formed vegetable tanned leather.

Thanks ;)

I really like the shape of this, ive been making a knife from an old file for some time now, I sort of gave up because it was taking me so long to get to the type of finish I want, but I like the rugged look this has. You've inspired me to get it back out and have another go at it.

205 x 100mm drill bit is just too bendy - keeps going off centre when drilling the hole for the tang. May be need to use wider bit and rely on the epoxy

Try using a shorter bit of the same diameter to get it started and then switch to the longer to get to full depth, should stop it wandering ;)

Hi Whalefish

Must say, your knives are among the nicest i've ever seen :drool::drool:

Your name seems really familiar, do you go on British Blades or BUK??

For anyone wanting to 'have a go' at making knives there are a good many tutorials on HERE They do some things differently to us here in the UK but they get good results :good:

Click on the 'Tutorials' link at the left side of the page then on knives or Sheaths or whichever of the tutorials that you want!!

Cheers, John :)

Hi Whalefish

Must say, your knives are among the nicest i've ever seen :drool::drool:

Your name seems really familiar, do you go on British Blades or BUK??

For anyone wanting to 'have a go' at making knives there are a good many tutorials on HERE They do some things differently to us here in the UK but they get good results :good:

Click on the 'Tutorials' link at the left side of the page then on knives or Sheaths or whichever of the tutorials that you want!!

Cheers, John :)

Thanks mate, not on those forums at the moment but have seen some of the tutorials on there too.

Thanks ;)