Recent knife work

whalefish

Here are a few knives and sheaths ive made recently.

first one is a laminated blade with a high carbon steel forge welded between two pieces of iron. bone, leather and birchbark handle and veg tanned leather sheath.

blade forged from a lawnmower blade and with a leather stacked handle.

Laminated blade. oak, leather, birchbark and hardwood from some old wooden pallets from india. Veg tanned leather sheath dyed with homemade vinegroon dye.

Hope you like them.

Thanks.

post-60765-0-46550000-1379267233_thumb.jpg

post-60765-0-70144500-1379267318_thumb.jpg

post-60765-0-89917700-1379267450_thumb.jpg

Edited by whalefish

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Heres another one im working on at the moment, blade is a carbon steel core from an old file forge welded between two pieces of wrought iron. Handle is stacked leather, bone and wrought iron gaurd and pommel (to be glued and finish sanded). I will etch the blade and gaurd/pommel in acid which should bring out some more of the grain in the wrought iron.

Hope you like it :good:

post-60765-0-25437500-1380736963_thumb.jpg

Nice work, do you buy in the birch bark or source your own?

Thank you :)

The bark was from some logs i was cutting for the stove. Not as thick as the bark you see some of the Scandinavian knife makers using so you need to use a lot more layers (takes a long time to cut all of them :P) , but i think it worked out okay.

Thank you :)

The bark was from some logs i was cutting for the stove. Not as thick as the bark you see some of the Scandinavian knife makers using so you need to use a lot more layers (takes a long time to cut all of them :P) , but i think it worked out okay.

Could you get away with silver birch as I've plenty of that lying around, and was thinking of incorporating it into my next one?

Could you get away with silver birch as I've plenty of that lying around, and was thinking of incorporating it into my next one?

Yea, im sure that would work :). I just removed all the loose bits of bark from the surface first then as i was compressing the pieces together heated it gently with a heat gun which releases the sap in the bark and helps glue it together. Good luck bud :good:

• 1 month later...