someone who can screwcut my rifle

Elliott

Any modification to a firearm invalidates its proof. You will have to take the whole rifle to a gunsmiths to have the work done as the rifle will have to be re-proofed. If you attempt to sell a firearm without current proofing its a very serious offence. I very much doubt a gunsmith will just do the work on a barrel as they will be 'effectively' transfering the unproofed part back to you.

I have firearms personally imported from the USA but I cannot sell them because they do not have a UK or European proof mark. I can use them just fine, just cannot sell to private individual without first having them UK proofed.

Sorry but there won't be a cheap solution! Better to have purchased a rifle already screw cut.

I presume this was a recent purchase. I would take it back and ask for them to screw cut it for you at their expense. Just because we are taking firearms with its own idiosyncrasies it is a item being sold like any other!!!

Did they inform you how much it would cost?

Any modification to a firearm invalidates its proof. You will have to take the whole rifle to a gunsmiths to have the work done as the rifle will have to be re-proofed. If you attempt to sell a firearm without current proofing its a very serious offence. I very much doubt a gunsmith will just do the work on a barrel as they will be 'effectively' transfering the unproofed part back to you.

I have firearms personally imported from the USA but I cannot sell them because they do not have a UK or European proof mark. I can use them just fine, just cannot sell to private individual without first having them UK proofed.

Sorry but there won't be a cheap solution! Better to have purchased a rifle already screw cut.

I was under the impression that all firearms had to have a uk proofmark even if imported within the first seven days of it entering the country. To the original op steve kershaw does first class work, atb wayne

Edited by mereside

If this is the case then there is a helluva lot of illegal modifications going on! In my experience only your third sentence is strictly accurate.

You only need it proofed if you come to sell it,

If you get it cut and never get rid of it there is no problem,

I had this with an HMR I had, Gunsmith shortened it and asked if I would ever be selling it?

I said no, he replied with it didn't need reproofing,

I did eventually come to sell it but had to have it reproofed first,

Strange thing was.... It was a Sako Quad that had NO PROOF marks on it at all,

When it came back from reproofing it had them in 2 places?? Breech and muzzle

:shaun:

Edited by shaun4860

mark not sure what you had written but genuinly believe a british proofmark is required by law for a firearm and that it must be sent to proof as soon as it enters the country if this is not the case i would be greatfull for someone who knows for definate to give clarifacation as i am importing one now and my import licence says i must inform the proofhouse within seven days and the firearm must go within 28 days ,atb wayne