Whats up with all you Norfolkians ??

Fisherman Mike

Just got back from a week on the North Norfolk coast staying in a friends house in Burnham - Overy - Staithe, very close to Holkham.

Never seen so many wood pigeons in an area in my life.

Wandered down a farm track picking blackberries between the Village and Brancaster and spoke to a very kindly old gentleman tending his beef cattle.

Told him I was a keen pigeon shooter and had access to over 12,000 acres in the Cotswolds and he said "well next time you come up here bring your guns no body seems to want to shoot bloody pigeons any more around here. They are quite happy to spend a weekend up to their eyes in mud on a freezing salt marsh hoping for a shot at a miserable old goose."

I also mentioned that I did quite a bit of survey work for the BTO and he said that one of the chaps in the village also did it and reckons that he had a field of flailed fodder maize a couple of winters back that had a flock of upwards of 35,000 pigeons feeding on it... he had 8 bangers on it and it still didn't put them off. He said "there were more pigeons on the field than Norwich City get at a home match.!"

"what 250" said I...."your a cheeky young ******" he said "you sure you're not from Norfolk." as I am 54 that was a nice compliment

If I can find employment in the area the wife and I are seriously considering relocating as we have a Sister in Norwich and Aunt in Fakenham and we love the area.

Just got back from a week on the North Norfolk coast staying in a friends house in Burnham - Overy - Staithe, very close to Holkham.

Never seen so many wood pigeons in an area in my life.

Hi Mike,

Yes, I did a similar thing last week, dropped the daughter off at University in Norwich then went exploring along the coast of North Norfolk.

Just like you, I was amazed at the number of Woodies there, a pigeon shooters wet dream, thousands of birds around, yet nobody shooting them.

Apparently the stubbles are reserved for the Partridges, which I can understand, there must be a lot of frustrated pigeon shooters in Norfolk..!!

Cat.

motty off the site sorts a few out in Norfolk hes a very keen pigeon popper like a lot of us on here but he won,t be covering all the county

I would live around there in the blink of an eye I have seen them around there myself on me travels

I understand theres a lot of game shooting goes on but not in the spring and summer months

well just out of norwich on the acle road there is squat ! went out yesterday as my mate was drilling the land...loads of sh12hawks not a pigeon to be seen.........last year when he drilled that field on a sunday he called me up and said the birds were pulling the grain out of the ground as quick as he was putting it in .....i went up and burnt a slab off in under 3 hours...and i went up the next day and shot anther 45 odd birds

i see birds about in 2's and 3's all the time ....but no solid flightlines as yet........i will see about setting up on tuesday as he will be lifting his beet....i dont normally bother on the beet fields ..........maybe the birds fancy a change....lets see......