Yesterdays ferreting

Stealth Stalker

Pin, peltman & me were out yesterday in the freezing cold & fog , we had another cracking day getting 7 bunnys in the bag.

I'll let Peltman fill in the details of the day.

Pin should have some excellent video footage of the bolts also of one slipping the net :/

post-2169-1166878370.jpg

post-2169-1166878415.jpg

Cheers SS

SS and I agreed at the end of our last trip that we would get out on Friday if we could as we'd seen around a dozen Rabbits when packing up. Pin said he'd love to come but was unable to. The thought of SS and I Ferreting while Pin was at work was to much for him to bare so he threw a sicky. Meeting time 9am arrived but Pin was late out of Bed then got a McBreakfast on the way so didn't get going till around 10am which was not a problem as I was running late after getting new bats for my Ferret Coller.

We arrived in the Pea soup that we have all been stuck in over the last few days and set up on the corner that we'd seen the rabbits two nights ago. I told them that i was unable to do to much as my back had locked up a bit from the other day :) then i set about climbing into the bushes and brambles to clear some holes deep in them, while SS and Pin done the easy holes on the bank along the bush :/ . We put SS's Girls down the holes in the Brambles because if my beast latched on under them it would be a reel pain trying to dig Him out. A couple of mo's later i herd a Rabbit come out a hole which i was unable to get to as the brambles were too deep. I could see it just sitting there so i guided Pin round behind and rustle the Hedge. Sure enough the Rabbit ran toward me and down a hole in the bank, back netting itself. Then SS saw a bolt from a unnetted hole, just after another crawled out a hole in the Brambles with one of SS's girls hangging off its ****. He reached in just getting his fingertips on it as the jill let go, the Rabbit seezed the moment and bolted to freedom leaving SS cursing :good:. We then had two more Rabbits making three in about ten minutes.

We then packed up and renetted down the length of the field but there was only one bolt which SS failed to reach in time and Bunny had a close escape, this was due to the bad netting of the hole :D . All i herd was the OH ******** :lol: But Pin got the fine moment on film (which will be posted soon). This was the only action down this side of the field.

It had reaches 3pm with the temp dropping fast and light falling we netted one more warren, with myself climbing into the bush while SS and Pin netting the easy holes :P. My beast got to see some action with all three Ferrets on the hunt. The first Rabbit that bolted was deep in the hawthorn bush which i dived into ripping my trouser in two places :P only to find by the time i had got there Beckie (SS's Golden Retreiver) grasping the Rabbit in its mouth stopping it from breaking free :o . SS and Pin were in stiches with me shouting from the depths of the bush: WHY THE **** DIDN'T YOU TELL ME SHE COULD DO THAT. I crawled out ripped to pieces and big holes in my strides. Another Rabbit bolted soon after with SS soon on it and chined. SS then located one in the field which the beast was latched onto, Pin dug it out only 1 1/2 foot down in a stop end, which Pin soon streached its neck. Next i could here another but couldn't see it, SS and Pin screaming its behind you. I turned te see it rolling around in the net within arms reach another in the bag after a swift chop to the back of the neck, which i find easyer than chining or streching the neck when they are well rapped up.

With the Ferrets just keep coming up top we new that the warren was spent so we got the nets in and had a wee dram/coffee.

SS went and retreived the three Rabbits from earlyer, Pin had forgotten his Knife which i think was tacktickle, leaving SS and i to paunch the 7 Bunnies :P. What i then found was the Rabbits that i had to Paunch were solid while SS's were steaming in the cold air :P, I'd been tucked up again :blush: . SS had given me the 3 from earlyer and took 3 which had just met there maker. What made things worse was that i cant find my hunting knife so i had this leatherman with me which was blunt as ****.

We then walked back to SS's Landy and loaded up. On the way back SS lost his only remaining screen wipper :o which was on the drivers side, but this didn't realy matter as the fog was so dence now you couldn't see **** all anyway.

7 Bunnies 3 ways of killing them used, all quick and clean and lots and lots of fun :P:P:P

Another Great day with great company found through this site even though 2 of us only live a few doors away from each other :D and the third a few miles.

Cheers lads Happy Christmas and New Year with many many more trips. :P

PELTMAN :P

A good write up peltman

As for you having a dodgy back, I'm not surprised the way you were flinging yourself into those brambles, before I'd put me gear down you'd dissapeared

It was a great day & I can't wait to get out again.

Have a good xmas & new year, we'll get out after I'm back from SA

Cheers SS