Where are they ?

stirky

Dont know how things are near you lads but around my areas that i shoot Wakefield/Ripon/ Knaresborough, i am not seeing many pigeons, there not on the rape yet, but should be, maybe i am just missing them with the weather being foggy. Whats the situation like in other parts of the country ?

Stirky,

They're not on the rape because they're still feeding on Acorns and Beechmast in the woods.

I've known years like this in the past, and I don't reckon they'll be on the rape in any numbers until late Jan, early Feb.

It's not just your bad eyesight, they're just not out on the fields.

It's pretty much the same everywhere, if other posts are anything to go by.

Time to catch up on the DIY...:lol:

Cat.

Went for a walk this morning and saw a flock of about 50 on a field of rape.

Hooray :good::lol:

However, too near some houses to shoot, but I can't wait until they go onto the next field down.

Cartridge/kill ration will be 20% initially, but who cares. This will be simply be as I will have the wrong choke in the gun, or the wrong size shot, or even no shot at all in the cartridges.

After a week I will be the world's best pigeon shooter (well, the way that I tell it I will be).

Don

When the OSR is high, keep an eye on the patches with pink and yellow leaves, where you can still see stubble between the drills, or it's sparsely sown. That's where the pigeons will find it preferable to land and feed. They then just walk to the higher plants and strip them. There may also be parts of the field where frost and dew is dried off first and that's where you'll find them, particularly on the higher parts of the field where the soil dries first. When it's windy look along the leeside of hedges, spinneys etc. and pay particular attention to hedgerow oaks and beech.

Hello went out for a walk on my fields christmas day, the last field that was cut over a month ago (maize) is still getting hit by at least 500-1000 or more strong, but since the suffolk murders and the field being close to were one was found. no shooting will take place since police and helicopters stil in the area, god i was trigger finger happy cant wait now too bag a load, if there still hanging around. will have to get pictures asap