New firearms guidance now published on HO website

Steel100

Interesting....a slight contradiction

Acquire can mean buying to me

2.50 A shotgun certificate is not required to possess or acquire shotgun cartridges containing five or more shot, none of which exceeds .36 inch in diameter. All ordinary shot cartridges are covered by this description. However, a shotgun certificate (or firearm certificate authorising possession of a section 1 shotgun) is normally required to purchase shotgun cartridges. All single bulleted ammunition, for example solid slug, spherical ball or projectiles for birdscaring equipment, is subject to the requirement for a firearm certificate.

Edited by Sprackles

Interesting....a slight contradiction

Acquire can mean buying to me

Yep, so had a look. As far as i can tell, it appears to be by any means various, and without actually saying so, but not by purchase. The King's English Dictionary says, "to gain, usually byone's own labour or exertions; to take on".

Before too many people start hanging off every word, please note.

It is a GUIDE, the only law in there are assorted specific references to various Acts of Parliament! Lifted directly from the front page, note the liberal use of Guide/Guidance! As they also say........This guide is not intended to be a definitive statement of the law......

:yes::good:

Guidance

Guide on Firearms Licensing Law 2013

Organisation:

Home Office

Page history: Updated 7 October 2013, see all updates
Consolidated guidance now available. 7 October 2013 14:08 New chapters added. 19 September 2013 11:22 New chapters added. 15 August 2013 16:42 Domestic violence chapter added. 1 August 2013 12:34 First published. 19 December 2012 00:00
Series: Firearms

Consolidated guidance to the police on firearms legislation.

Document
thumbnail_Guidance_on_Firearms_Licensing
Guide on Firearms Licensing Law 2013

PDF, 1.03MB, 254 pages

Detail

This document provides consolidated guidance on firearms licensing legislation. This guide is not intended to be a definitive statement of the law, but a cohesive explanation of the often complex area of firearms licensing.

This replaces the previous guidance published in 2002.

Edited by Dekers

Oh, and thanks to Steel100 for posting, they have been updating this steadily for many months but I didn't know the Full version was available yet.

I will need to get a copy asap, GUIDE or not, the Police will treat it the same as the 2002 Guide and use it as though it was Law.

If you do have any vaguely serious interest in shooting or are involved in anything like a professional capacity, sad though it may be, this really IS essential reading!

:good:

As Dekers says, it's NOT law it is a Guide ... and yes, I am already aware of at least one force which has read and are working to the 'new' Guidance. Also, as JonathanL has commented, until Parliament make changes in primary legislation the best we can expect is some tinkering at the edges. I do however, expect to see some material changes when the new certificate format is introduced.

A