Define a moving vehicle....

oz1982

Hi everyone I have been asked a question I cannot answer so figured I'd come to you all after getting no where with the deer Scotland act.

I have a client that loves deer stalking and has done it for years but can no longer go the distance required. He wanted to know if he parks his vehicle with the engine stopped can he shoot.?? ( kinda makes it a high seat without the high i Guess...lol)

The deer Scotland act states moving vehicle..and if it's stopped and engine is stopped then it is not moving... But as I'm not 100% sure I wanted to throw it out there.

Thanks all.

The stationary part is straight forward. If the wheels have ceased to rotate, the vehicle is stationary. However, reading the act it seems that care would need to be exercised as to whether the vehicle could be said to be driving the deer - a specific offence under the act. It would all be down to perceived actions at the time.

There are "mobility" devices for outdoors persuits (off road wheel chair types) If he was to use one of these (slow, open etc) to get to a position from which to shoot or an ATV i think he would be fine. Shooting from inside a stationary vehicle should be ok but the limited apperture of shooting from a normal car/4x4 could be an issue. A stationary vehicle is easy to define (it isnt moving, either powered or rolling)

• 2 weeks later...

A good friend of mine who is in a wheel chair shoots deer fox`s & rabbits all the time from his car (a VW combie type people carrier adapted to take his wheel chair)either from the window or from the back of his car with the sliding doors open. I have been out a few times with him and yes I suppose it is a bit like shooting from a high chair. He also uses an argo and if the ground conditions permit he will go out with his motorised wheel chair.

His photo was in the BASC magazine earlier this year with a deer he took from his chair.

This is in North of Scotland.

BBL

• 2 weeks later...

I know someone, who shoots deer from his pick up,(he is also works for BASC and is regarded highly in the BDS). His interpretation is, that the vehicle has to be parked/stationary and the key removed from the ignation.

Wheather hes right or wrong i dont know, may its one to ask the FLO and BASC or BDS

atb

simon

• 3 weeks later...