tips for crows tomorrow.

bikemad24

hello, iv been asked to shoot some crows on an farm/estate near me, there is a small wood that runs at the back of there silage pits. iv only got rifles 17hmr and a 22-250 (dont want to shoot birds of trees with these) and no shogun so went to my rfd and asked if i can borrow an air rifle for the weekend he said yes and gave me a weihrauch hw100 in 177 (NOT fac) . can somebody give me the effective killing range of this rifle and what i should zero it in at. i understand there are a alot of variables in this question i just want a ball park figures. cheers Pete

Best way with air riffle be may June time out trees

not if you've been asked to do them in October! If you know where they are and have big flocks then that need culling, get on with it now. As an afterthought to my post, I zero mine at 35yds because I shoot both rabbits and birds and my range is could vary from 20 up to 50 for rabbits (plus a bit for birds) so it makes sense to minimise the hold over/under positions by going somewhere in the middle of the range. If you're hide shooting and know the specific distance at which almost all your shooting will be done, then there's no point overcomplicating it. Zero up at your most regularly shot distance.

You need a very good Silencer to shot crows.

I have 10 Rifles and i only take one Rifle Crow shooting.

A Logun Solo .177 doing 11.8 ftlb 3x9x56 Scope. Logun Silencer.

All my other Rifles have Silencers on them but are not has quiet has solo.

Most of my guns you get one shot on crows and the rest take off for 30 min or more.

But the Logun i can shoot one and the rest stay put.

I have even shot one crow and then shot his bud on the same branch.

I've been asked to do the same thing as the crows and jackdaws are stripping the cobs from the maise crop around the farm borders. I have tried several times batching up about 30 yards from where I see them sit in trees or on parked trailers but as has been said above, even with my very well silenced AA 400, I get a single shot about every half to one hour. The fallen bird makes all the others go mad and vacate the area for ages. I'm sure the next ones that turn up must come from miles off.

I can drive past the farm and see 100+ near where I batch up but they're not silly. I build pretty good hides using camo netting and wear a face veil but they're a lot harder to fool than pigeons. I'm wondering whether I need to get into the hide before dawn and wait for them to come in. Each time I get one and it falls, I have to break cover and go and get it or any others that come in just see it laying there and fly off making a right racket as a warning.

I'm sure that when it all comes together, a very good bag can be had but at the moment I bet it's being said that I'm not bothering to get out there after them, I just haven't had a good session yet.

Zero the HW100 at around 30 yards and the .177 will only climb and dip around 1/2" from the reticule cross from 15 yards to about 35. That will allow you to aim pretty much smack on over a very wide range. Over 35 yards and you'll be heading towards allowing up to the first mil-dot on the scope (my first mil-dot is at 45 yards). You really should work out your vertical and horizontal allowances out to 45 yards before attempting shots at live quarry, be it at crows, rats or anything else. My .177 is deadly when it hits in the right place and drops everything on the spot. Crows have a fairly large head for our legal quarry and make the best targets, but one between the shoulders if facing away is a good mark.

Good luck and let us know how you get on...... :good:

have shot many crows over the years but mostly with a shotgun. I do have a .177 10 shot with a suppressor fitted which I use to shot crows, rooks, jackdaws, magpies and pigeon which slip into the barns pinching grain. Its nice and quite and does not scare the farm animals.

I must admit it is great fun picking them off one by one but you need a lot of time and if theres a lot then its gonna take you a long time. My riffle is zeroed at 35 yards which I find works very well.